Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot the Big Three, revision. >

Shot the Big Three, revision.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Big Three, revision.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shot the Big Three, revision.

First, if ya'll hadn't read the original thread, it's a good idea to start there, here's the link. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1419597&mpage=1

Now that your informed, I went back today and spent another 3 hours tinkering with the bows...mostly I concentrated on the Bowtech Allegiance and the Hoyt Trykon...I did shoot the Switchback again only to reassure myself that it wasn't in my top two.

I've been trying to absorb everything everyone is informing me, educating me and helping out. When I shot these two the other night I was not aware of the speed modules available on the Bowtechs...to be fair, I need to shoot them heads up with the Trykon.

My original chrono results were that the Trykon shot slightly faster than the Allegiance I was shooting with the smooth modules. There were no 70 lb Allegiances in the shop so I picked out a 60 lb Trykon and went heads up at 29" in draws.

Again a Easton ACC weighing in at 381 grains.

Allegiance, 279
Trykon, 281

Today with the speed modules in...

Allegiance, 283
Tyrkon, 281
Mathews 268

Again, these are some impressive speeds at 60 lbs.

As you all know buy reading the original thread, I was so torn between the Allegiance and the Tyrkon. I told the shop that when I went to bed Thurs. night I layed there for about an hour thinking about my decison. All that thinking and all the information I'm gaining since that particular night led me back to the shop today.

I put the Trykon and Allegiance through a series of personal tests including feel, draw, shot, balance, noise, speed and appearance. After the 3 hours of "playing" I've come to a decision on my new bow. As you know I paid for the Trykon and left the bow waiting on accessories.

Feel, I really prefered the Trykon. I'm used to Hoyt handles and in my hand, the Hoyt was superior however the Allegiance was pefect.

Draw, The Hoyt isn't for everyone. Yes it has a harsher draw cycle over the Allegiance but I'm used to that and once over the peak and into the valley your into a solid wall. The Allegiance was smoother and had a shorter valley which allowed for no creed on your release or it'd want to jump forward....Between these two, I prefered the draw cycle of the Allegiance.

Balance, I really didn't experience any difference in balance, they both held great with the Hoyt handle slightly nicer in my hand.

Shot,
Today I really like the smoothness of the Allegiance with both feeling fantastic throughout the continuation of shooting. I couldn't pick one over the other simply on shot alone but if I had to...the Allegiance impressed me minutely more.

Noise, With those standing behind me the concession was that the Trykon was quieter however they said with the Allegiance they heard the arrow more which to me standing on the bow, the Allegiance was quieter. I'm surmising they heard the arrow more because they heard the bow less...both very quiet but not as quiet as the Switchback.

Speed, with the speed modules in the Allegiance, it did beat the Trykon on speed.

Appearance, what can one say about appearance, all the bows from the Switchback, Tyrkon to the Allegiance were simply works of art...although the accessories I ordered would match the Tyrkon to perfection...

So what did I decide on or revise?

Here's my setup.

Trophy Taker's new Pronghorn Rest/black
Viper Predator Pro Microtune/ black
Fuse Axium 10" Stabilzer/ brown
Fuse Katana adjustable 4 arrow quiver
Knotless Loop
Super Peep
Brown wrist sling
Bowtech Allegiance, 70 lb, 28.5 in draw with speed modules.

That is correct, I put the Trykon back on the shelf and told them to order me the Allegiance in a 28.5 in draw with speed modules. My current Hoyt VorTec is setup at 65% letoff making it 28.75 inch draw. Shooting the 29 in Tyrkon I was overbowed...I knew and they could see it. A 28" bow is too short and I know I could play with either to make them comfortable...all esle being equal between the Allegiance and the Trykon and being able to order 1/2 sizes...the Allegiance won my heart.

Old 02-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot the Big Three, revision.

Rob,

I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised when you run the Allegiance you get shipped in to you through the chrono; I'd be a dollar to a donut that that one is faster than the one the shop had on hand. Obviously, we've talked about that ad nauseum on the other thread, but -- you only gained 4 pfs by installing the fast mods on that bow? Something just ain't jiving there... Should be more like 8-12 fps... everything else being equal.

Regardless, congrats on your new baby... and welcome to the BowTech team!!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:25 PM

Indian giver. You disappoint me, Rob. I thought we trained you better than that.....[8D]

Hope you enjoy the new bow.........that is, if it REALLY is your new bow. Who knows..the way this is going, a PSE or Alpine may find it's way into this mix...[&:]

Good shooting!
Old 02-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, that's what the shop owner thought, he said did you gain 10 fps and said no....the tag on the Allegiance in the shop read that it was IBO 305...I'm not sure how that ranks with the others...if it were a Hoyt I could tweak it inside and out to shoot faster but I have no experience with the BowTech line...and I'm not sure how reliable this shop is going to be with tweaking the Allegiance...that's why I'm self reliant and own a press, string jig, arrow saw, fletch jig etc...I'll have tons of questions for you and Matt when I finally set it up...trust me, your going to be sick of hearing from me...

mdbowhuntr, And I forgot to mention in the thread above....I'm selling my Hoyt Vortec and buying the Trykon as well....I didn't pick one over the other, I simply want the Allegiance first...As soon as the VorTec is gone, I'll own both.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:34 PM

Ok, now yer gonna make me cry.....I've never been so proud in all my life!!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

the tag on the Allegiance in the shop read that it was IBO 305
And that was with a 60 lb., 29" model -- right?

If so, that should be a pretty decent model he's got there... adding 20 fps back on to make up the 10-lb. draw weight difference, and another 10 fps for the missing one inch of draw length puts it at 335 when you make the adjustments to get it back to IBO specs. That's no slouch... I'm not sure why you didn't see a bigger increase in speed when going to the speed mods?!?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Nice Rob! First get the Allegiance, then get the Trykon. Uh, I bet you will be flipping a coin each day to decide which bow to shoot.

One question........I don't remember you saying but are you going to shoot them at 65% or the higher letoff? Reason I ask is like you, I've always shot 65% or less, and I found with my Bowtech Patriot there is NO valley at 65%..none. Of course its not a Binary Cam bow, but it seems there is no dropoff in speed with the higher letoff setting on the Bowtechs. I've also found if I do use a string loop and tweak the draw stop, I can get the draw right and shoot a 70-75% letoff and have some valley. Again, perhaps the Binary cams are different than the Infinity cam as far as a valley at the 65% setting.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:54 PM

Glad to hear that you made a choice. I was curious of the price tags on each of the above mentioned bows.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:34 PM

welcome to the dark side brother.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, congrats on TWO badazz weapons. (and that's coming from a Switchback owner). I love the smoothness and quietness ofthe Mathews. I really like all of them, but the Mathews just screamed "take me home"!

Quick Reply: Shot the Big Three, revision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.