Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Why am I shooting high? >

Why am I shooting high?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why am I shooting high?

Old 05-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why am I shooting high?

I just finished changing my string for the first time (doing it myself). I did a quickie paper tune and got a decent bullet hole. When I went to shoot I shot at 5yds first. It was like ten inches high. I made what I thought was a drastic change and backed up to 10yds, I hit the very top of the target. I made a even more drastic change and backed up to 20yds ( I know this was stupid don't know why I did it.) and my arrow flew over the target never to be found again. I made one last adjustment and shot at 5yds, still 5 inhces high. My pin is almost to the top of the site and it is still not on. Does anybody have any idea what is going on. Is the only way to fix this moving the rest and nock down? Any help would be appreciated.

Also I have a QAD ultra rest and the prongs were touching the shelf b4 the string change, i moved them up so they're maybe 1/2-2/3 mm off the shelf. Would that make this drastic of a difference?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why am I shooting high?

Did you check to make sure your A to A is correct with the new string? You may need to add or take some twists out of the string to get the bow back in spec.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you changed your anchor point.If you are shooting a short A to A bow and your anchor is high,like the corner of mouth or higher then this would change things drastically.Try anchoring lower on the chin and see if this makes a difference,should move the site pins back where they belong.
Check your nock also and make sure its level .Maybe it moved down on you.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Also if your using a peep on your string it might not be correct ,you may have to raise it or lower it .I just replaced my string and cable's as well and found a similar problem when sighting in .All it took was re-adjusting my peep.

nubo
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM

My first thought would be that you are moving the pin the wrong direction. Sounds simple, but it's an easy thing to do. But you stated your pin is at the top of the aperture, so I assume you have been moving it up. Check your nock point to make sure it hasn't slipped. Check the tiller and the timing. And, as buckeye said, make sure the A to A is in spec. Sounds to me like every time you shoot, something is moving.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check that your nock set is at the same point on you new string as the old.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could be the ata it was a little long. Would too long make it shoot higher? It's not my anchor, if anything my anchor is lower now. When I draw my bow with my eyes clothes anchor, then open my eyes the peep site is right inline with the site so that doesn't need changed.

How should the arrow line up with the berger hole. Like how high off the shelf? Would that little change in the rest affect it?
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

You probably need to go back to the start and set the bow up from scratch. You moved your rest up. Did you set your nocking point before or after moving the rest? Here's how I'd do it. Set your rest so that with an arrow approximately square on the string the arrow passes the riser at the same height as the rest mounting hole (we used to call it a berger button hole) and move left or right for centershot. Use a bow square and set your nocking point height about 1/8" to 1/4" above square. Make sure the bow is set to the weight you want to start with. Go shoot it through paper and adjust as necessary. Then shoot through paper at a couple more distances like 10 and 15'. Fine tune as necessary. Go sight your bow in for 20 yards. After that you can walk-back tune, group tune or whatever you want to do to really fine tune the bow. Then resight it.

After you got it set, then measure your ATA, brace height, bow weight, nocking point height, peep height above the nocking point, tiller, and whatever else you can think of. Write the figures down and keep them. Mark the side of your cams where they pass through the limbs.

Go shoot your bow and have fun. Periodically check some of the measurements to see if your rigging is creeping. Readjust as necessary.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:59 PM

Had a similar problem a while back. Turned out it was the arrow rest moving up and down. Had come loose with all the shooting and no loctite.
I'd go with BGFishers advice, start from the beginning!!
Good luck
Old 05-12-2005, 06:57 AM

Your old string had probably crept substantially. Unless you frequently checked the measurements Bgfisher pointed out, your old set-up was probably way out of tune. Tune your new setup to the best of your ability and then do as Bgfisher suggests. Unless you had a custom string put on, you wil most lilely have to periodically add twists to your string and/or cables.

Quick Reply: Why am I shooting high?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.