Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Correct arm position? >

Correct arm position?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Correct arm position?

Old 05-09-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Correct arm position?

When you experienced shooters shoot your bow is your arm that is holding the bow locked out and straight or do you keep some bend in it. Is there a right and wrong way? Does keeping your arm locked out and straight or bent affect accuracy. Reason I'm asking is I'm still having difficulty finding a "comfortable" stance when I shoot. I've only been shooting about 6 months and it seems that I will get comfortable with a certain stance (like my hands and head in a certain position) then a week or two later I'll change, not for any certain reason, but mainly I'll find another way that feels pretty good. I know I need to just stick with one way, but I want it to be correct. Any comments or help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Correct arm position?

I'm not sure if there is a right way or wrong way. I use a bent, relaxed arm when shooting. When I first started this sport I made sure my arm was locked. I had to wear an arm guard because on every shot the string hit my arm guard. With a slight bend, recommended by an experienced shooter, I did not fatigue as fast and my arm was more steady than before. I stuck with this style and it has worked for me.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:57 AM

i prefer straight, but not locked, shoulder down, but not everybody's body is built exactly the same and what works best for me may not for you. i anchor and that's it. from then on the only thing that moves is my hips until i experience release. what i mean is i acquire my aiming point with my hips. for me, where my hips are pointing, the arrow is going there regardless, so that's what i use to aim right and left and up and down. if i start off in the proper stance the only thing left after anchoring is up and down, and i do that by bending at the hips. when i stopped aiming with my bow arm my consistancy went to the next level along with my ability to hover on the dot.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go here a do a search on "form"

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Several have pictures , In my oppinion bent arm is better for hunting , helps when your shooting from a tree or , have bulky clothes on .