Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 For hunting veins or feathers >

For hunting veins or feathers

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

For hunting veins or feathers

Old 05-03-2005, 04:02 PM

Default For hunting veins or feathers

So, for hunting purposes only what is better veins or feathers? I am buying some GT xt's for hunting only and wanted feathers but worried about rain. What you guys think?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 PM

Default RE: For hunting veins or feathers

Be prepared for A LOT of opinions on this one! All I can say is shoot both and see what you like. I went from vanes to feathers, and I like the feathers (my bow is slower, so the weight reduction of the feathers helps).
Old 05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Veins carry blood through your body. Vanes are used for fletching. Now that I got that out of my system I'll tell you my opinion. I used to shoot vanes way back in the 70's. Then I went to feathers and have shot them ever since. Now I just tried some DuraVane Low Profiles. These I like.

You can't just pick vanes. There are some that vary quite substantially in weight. I've weighed some in one batch that some were 8.4 grains and others weighed in excess of 12 grains. Might not sound like much, but multiply that by three and you have arrows that could not even come close to matching weights. Worse yet, get two heavy ones on an arrow and one light one and the balance goes to pot--right along with flight.

As with most things don't buy the cheapest. And a better bet is to get 4" vanes used by target or 3D shooters. They don't usually use inferior products.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:45 AM

For hunting, I like feathers. They increase your F.O.C., which is a good thing when shooting fixed blade broadheads in wind or heavy cover. They also create more drag than vanes do (which is why you put anything back there in the first place), and at the same time they increase short range speed, because they are lighter. Getting wet is not a big deal with hunting-range distances.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

vanes. sure they are a bit heavier, but tests have proven down range gain by using feathers is evened out. the weight advantage that you gain by feathers is minimal. no hard feelings towards feathers, I just like vanes better. more durable and not as prone to wear in wheather.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have 1 dozen fletched w/ feathers, and another w/ Vanes. At this point in time, I see no real difference...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the compound, I'd still use vanes. However, at least this year, I am only hunting with my longbow, so I have to use feathers.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: hoyt3

vanes. sure they are a bit heavier, but tests have proven down range gain by using feathers is evened out. the weight advantage that you gain by feathers is minimal.
True. But, are you really going to shoot at a deer 60+ yards away? I think not. From 0-40 yards, feathers are faster because of the weight difference. 40-60 yards, they even out, and are pretty much the same. From 60 yards is where the vanes take over, because of the wind resistance created by the feathers. But, this resistance is what stabilizes the arrow so much better. Shooting field points, you really won't notice, or at least, I didn't. But, when shooting a broadhead, feathers really shine. Yes, they get wet, but I spray mine with Scotchgaurd, and I hear others using the same stuff they spray on a whisker biscuit. Along with that, I take along a ziptop bag, guaranteed dry. In this forum, do a search, I started a thread about wet feathers making a difference. Got some really good info. Check it out. I am a feather fan, and those are my reasons. Sides, they look really neat!!

edit: Here is the thread: http://www.forum.hunting.net/asppg/t...&key=&#1039640