Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Is anyone still using skinny carbons to hunt with? >

Is anyone still using skinny carbons to hunt with?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is anyone still using skinny carbons to hunt with?

Old 09-17-2002, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is anyone still using skinny carbons to hunt with?

As opposed to ics type carbons? Do you think they offer any specific advantages (stronger, straighter, less expensive, etc) over ICS carbons?

Also, if you do, are you having any problems losing outserts in 3D or dense foam targets?

I shoot a drop away rest, so fletch or slip on nock clearance isn't an issue. Can these pultruded shafts be weighted?

Old 09-17-2002, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Is anyone still using skinny carbons to hunt with?

Range,

I'm still shooting the skinnys for hunting!!! I am shooting Carbon Impacts Ultra Fast shafts which have just been discontinued by them. Carbon Impact is now going to just one shaft the XLT which is about the same diameter as most of the other carbons out there now. I find that I get superior penetration with those shafts with my fixed blade broadheads. At 73# of KE it has been but just once that I didn't get a complete pass through on a hog or whitetail. The one time it didn't exit it hung up on the fletching as the arrow had traveled almost the entire length of the animal on a deep quartering away shot, the animal dropped right there on the spot. I guess you could weight the pultruded type shafts with weedwacker line if you wanted. I would weigh out the lengths before installing them. I also use all glue-on tips in my setups.

Aim Hard!
Old 09-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I figured you'd jump in here

Do you choose to use them because of the penetration factor, or some other reason?

When you shoot field tips at targets, do you have any problems losing outserts?

Old 09-17-2002, 10:50 AM

Range,

Yes, I firmly believe the penetration is better with the smaller shafts compared to the fatter diameters. As far as loosing adaptors, I don't have that problem because I use an all glue-on system similiar to nibs. I've been using a glue-on system for field and broadhead arrows for many years now with no problems. I recently glued up some outserts to try mechanical broadheads and don't expect any problems either. I am in the epoxy glue manufacturing business, can you guess how most things are glued around here? It is my preference to buildup my arrows for specific use only, ie. broadheads once tuned remain broadheads, and field arrows remain field arrows. That way it is less work each season getting ready to hunt not having to go back through the retuning process. I simply store the hunting arrows in arrow storage case until they are to be used keeping the fletchings straight and in good shape.

Aim Hard!

Edited by - FLHunter on 09/17/2002 11:59:01
Old 09-17-2002, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. What size fletching do you use? Also, what is the cutting diameter of your fixed blade heads (muzzy, if I recall correctly)?

Old 09-17-2002, 11:04 AM

I love my Beman Carbon Hunters, especially since I've gone to a Muzzy ZE rest. Vane clearance was really the only drawback to pultruded carbons, and dropaway rests took care of that problem. I use them for all the reasons mentioned above - they are straiter, tougher, cheaper, and penetrate better than ICS or aluminum arrows. (OK, so XX78's are a little straiter, but not much). JB Weld does a great job at keeping the outserts on. I've never had one come off.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:07 AM

Range,

I am using 4" vanes with just a slight amount of offset. The broadheads are Muzzy 3 blades with a 1" cutting diameter. I prefer using a 4 blade( more cutting surface) if I can find one to work. With my current arrows Muzzy didn't make a glue-on model in 4 blade that would fit the shafts. It is also not too unusual for me to use 5" vanes depending upon the FOC of the arrow.

Aim Hard!
Old 09-17-2002, 11:12 AM

I am shooting the beman hunter pultruded shafts with a glue on muzzy 100gr 4 blade. I have the best accuracy with these that I have out of any all carbon arrows. I just hope they continue to make them. they also penetrate better than any other shaft I have used but then the main thing is to make sure your arrow is flying straight no matter what kind it is.
cebpa <><
Old 09-17-2002, 02:06 PM

I may be wrong on this, but it seems I've been to a couple 3-D courses where they wouldn't let you use the arrows with outserts. If so, I'd be hesitant to use an arrow I couldn't practice 3D with.

Old 09-17-2002, 05:32 PM

I shoot "skinny" carbon arrows. They are a pain in the behind to deal with (outserts, inserts, blow thru targets, etc...) but they offer super penetration.
There are two places to buy them that I know of..
1) Cabela's SST Carbon Arrows at http://www.cabelas.com
2) Carbon Tech Stalker at http://www.carbontecharrows.com/index2.html

Mathews Ultra2

Edited by - Kaos on 09/17/2002 18:54:47

Quick Reply: Is anyone still using skinny carbons to hunt with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.