Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Back tension release? >

Back tension release?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Back tension release?

Old 04-05-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Back tension release?

I'm still learing alot about bowhunting so please excuse the ignorance but what is a back tension release and how do they work? thanks for the help.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back tension release?

a back tension release is released from the back tension that you put on the end of the release it is basically a lever I dont recommend using BT for a hunting release unless you have had a lot of practice with one. if you get one you will see what I mean.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:05 AM

it is a very expensive way to punch yourself in the mouth.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:35 AM

i like giblets answer...only thing i would add is a slap in the arm.
Old 04-06-2005, 03:36 PM

thanks for the infor guys
Old 04-07-2005, 01:09 AM

It's unfortunate that such misinformation is spread about back tension releases like that above.

A back tension release can come in several forms. The most popular is called a hinged jaw back tension release. This release is held in the hand. The hook that hooks onto the d-loop rides on a half moon shaped surface. The release is drawn and rotation of the entire release is required for it to fire. There are a couple ways to fire it, the most popular is just to pull with your back muscles and totally relax your hand and forearm. This causes the release to rotate in your hand and fire.

The advantage of a back tension release is that it takes the triggering the shot function away from the fast twitch muscles of your finger tips, and transfers it to the large slow moving muscles of your back. This forces you to aim and learn patience to wait on the shot.

BT releases are commonly used to cure inability to hold on the aiming point, drive by shooting, flinching, and a whole bunch of other common malidies that strike archers.

The hinge jaw release save my archery life. I was unable to hold on a spot without jerking the trigger. I cured that and then began drive by shooting...shooting at the spot while still moving. I took the advice of some guys on another website and picked up a Zenith back tension kit that has a training video. After some serious practice and advice from some knowledgable archers on the net, I was able to master it pretty well. The success was so great that I won a state 3D title, a state field title in BHFS last year and this year won our state indoor title and finished fifth in our sectionals. I went from a basic shooter to a state champ in one season all because I gave a back tension release a chance.

Once a BT release is mastered you can shoot any release with back tension. In fact, you will find it impossible to shoot a release again by "command shooting" (jerking the trigger) without some serious challenges. This is the reason I say BS when someone says you shouldn't hunt with a BT release. My shot timing is the same whether I am using my TruBall Short and Sweet wrist strap trigger, my Carter Insatiable II, or my TruBall BT Gold back tension release. I HAVE to shoot them with back tension since that is the only way I know how to now. My shot process is slow and I live with that, but I make way more accurate shots now.

In fact, in the latest Petersen's Bowhunting magazine you will find several pro archers that use BT releases to hunt. Once you become proficient with them they are as good as any release out there.

To date I have never hit myself in the mouth with a BT release. I have had fewer "oops" shots with a BT release than my Short-n-sweet, but I have never done either with my heavy trigger spring Insatiable II.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:22 AM

hey, i was making a joke ok. i shoot a thumb trigger and use back tension to release. i went intermediate to the push and pull method michael braden uses and then moved to back tension. the big advantage is i don't feel like i have to do anything to release the arrow but aim. by relaxing my forearm and hand, but not enough for the release to fly out of my hand, and then slowly tightening that muscle who's name i forgot, the arrow will release at some point and nothing moves. its a much calmer and mentally relaxed way of shooting. there is not that point of 'ok, i'm going to fire' when the flinching and punching happens. there is no dropping or letting go of the bow arm, really, there is nothing. it doesn't feel like i'm doing anything, and that's why i like it. i have not shot a triggerless bt release, but when i have some cash i will. you'll see your arrow flight improve dramatically also.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:03 PM

AKDOUG's explanation is perfect it can't be said any better.For myself a back tension triggerless release saved my participation in the sport.I have hunted with a Carter Colby.I now hunt and Practice year round with a Tru Ball Pinky boss,a release that is triggered with your pinky.Once you have retrained your mind and your body(99% your mind)you can use any release with back tension.There are plenty of articles on the web that illustrate the physical process of shooting with back tension.