Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 To heck with KE formulas and theories >

To heck with KE formulas and theories

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To heck with KE formulas and theories

Old 05-01-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To heck with KE formulas and theories

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

Bring out your dead...bing!, Bring out your dead...bing

Bu..bu..but....I'm not dead yet!

I'm feeling betta......

[&:]
Old 05-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JeffB

You will be soon... [8D]
Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowTech_Shooter

ORIGINAL: JeffB

You will be soon... [8D]

Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend my friend..yesterday was crazy...hell, I'm @ work now (yes working hard obviously )
Old 05-03-2005, 09:48 PM

this is cut from Dr. Ashbys papers report three twards the bottom just my two cents seems he agrees a hevier arrow has better penatration but he likes a single blade broadhead[:@]

Broadheads and arrows for the 'super big' animals are an entirely different subject, as is hunting them. For what it is worth, my goal on BIG animals is consistent penetration to the fletching on chest shots, with broadheads remaining undamaged.

If you want to turn your hits into kills, my advice is: Use any bow you like, compound, recurve or longbow. Hunt with the heaviest draw weight bow you can handle (and 'handle' is the key word here).

Select a quality single blade broadhead of a long and narrow shape. Mount it on as heavy a shaft, of as small a diameter, as your bow will shoot with reasonable trajectory. As we shall see in Part IV: The Physics of Arrow Penetration, extra arrow mass does a lot to offset lower bow draw weight or arrow velocity.

Use a minimum of 650 grains total arrow weight for most big animals and 900 grains if after the 'super big' animals. Don't worry about arrow speed. Practice until you can place your arrows in the 'kill zone' at the range you intend to shoot.

Study your quarry's habits and practice your hunting skills. The heavier arrows do cost you some 'range'. Get close to your game before shooting. Get your broadheads really sharp.

That, in total, is my personal formula. It usually results in finding the quarry, quiet dead, at the end of a rather short blood trail. Is it 100 percent effective? Almost. Out of several hundred animals hit with such an arrow and broadhead, only two failed to end up hanging in my camp
Old 06-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

I bot a compound for 50.00 off ebay and some cheap arrows from Walmart. I love hunting with my 4thhand junk. All this technical crap is for guys with too much dollars and too little sense. Cold day in he.. when any bow is worth a $1000.00. Thats a lot of gas and grocs to head to the hi country. I just like to hunt, to get out there and DO it and to be there. I been huntin since 1962 and never seen no KE in the woods.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:32 AM

This is what i have found out with my bk2, I was shooting a 10.8gr arrow at 31 inches with a 100 gr tip.
Now I am shooting a 8.2 gr arrow at 28 inches with a 100 grain tip.
Neither has been chronographed as I do not own one (yet).
At 10 yrds the 10.8 gr arrow sunk nearly as deep as the 8.2 gr arrow giving the 10.8 gr arrow nearly 3 inches more penitration in the same target.
This test was done with field points not broadheads.
The biggest difference was the sound made when the 8.2 gr arrow hit the target making a loud thud and a lot more vibration in the arrow shaft.
I repeatted this two shot test about 4 times and each time the result was the same.