Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 PLEASE HELP PAPER TUNE PROBLEM, PIC INCLUDED >

PLEASE HELP PAPER TUNE PROBLEM, PIC INCLUDED

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

PLEASE HELP PAPER TUNE PROBLEM, PIC INCLUDED

Old 03-31-2005, 08:07 AM

Default PLEASE HELP PAPER TUNE PROBLEM, PIC INCLUDED

OK GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP. IVE BEEN HAVING SOME PROBLEMS WITH ARROW CONTACT TO MY REST. I HAVE A TROPHY TAKER SHAKEY HUNTER REST AND IVE NOTICED LATELY THE MOLE SKIN THAT IS COVERING IT HAS A HOLE IN IT. (I POSTED A PIC OF IT IN AN EARLER POST). SO I DECIDED TO DO A PAPER TEST. I DID IT BY EASTON GUIDELINES ; TARGET @ SHOULDER HEIGHT STANDING APPROX. 5-6 FEET FROM PAPER. THE FIRST PIC (TOP) IS FROM A GOLDTIP HUNTER ARROW WITH 3 VANES, THE SECOND PIC (BOTTOM) IS FROM A GOLDTIP XT. EXACT SAME SET UP AND EVERYTHING, THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE FIRST PIC IS FROM A HUNTER AND THE SECOND IS FROM AN XT. CAN ANYONE PLEASE WHATS GOING ON AND WHAT KIND OF TEAR I HAVE. TO ME, ONE PIC SAYS ONE THING AND THE OTHER PIC SAYS SOMETHING DIFFERENT, OR AM I READING IT WRONG. ANY HELPFUL ADVICE WOULD REALLY, REALLY BE APPRECIATED. IM SHOOTING 100 GRAIN FIELD POINTS, 26"ARROWS, 70 LB DRAW, 27" DL. BOTH ARROWS ARE 5575.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 AM
CWB

Default RE: PLEASE HELP PAPER TUNE PROBLEM, PIC INCLUDED

Looks like it is showing a slight right tear. See were your point has punch a hole in the paper and your fletching is leaning to the right. Try moving your rest out (right)away from the bow just a hair. You are only off a little bit. If it gets worse, move it back left instead. Sometimes what works for one person doesn't work for another. A little adjusting of the rest ought to get it!
Old 03-31-2005, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally those tears look like a good place to start group tuning/broadhead tuning to me. Center shot does look to be a tad off, but that could also be a torque issue.
Make sure when shooting at paper that there is absolutely no torque applied to the riser, OR apply the same amount of torque as you do for every shot (compare the vertical line provided by your cable to some spot on your riser at full draw for a reference) You can make that hole do some squirrelly stuff just by gripping the bow different with each shot.

Have you tried the lipstick test yet to see where you contact is coming from?

If not, get a hold of some lipstick (significant others less used flavor is preferred) and lightly coat your vanes where they may be contacting your rest. After you shoot if your vanes are hitting the rest the lipstick will show you exactly where.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:11 AM

thanks alot guys for your input. i will try that test dave
Old 03-31-2005, 09:24 AM

yeah, that's so close to perfect it would be hard to tell if its you or the rest. when i shoot paper, rarely, i take quite a few shots.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That does look good.
I shoot 3 arrows when tuning before making any assumptions or adjustments.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

I was paper tuning my GT XT and ran into the same problem with the same type of arrow. I had shot 4 different arrows through the paper and 1 out of the 4 would give me the opposite tear of the others. I rotated my nock 180 degrees and got the same tear as the other three arrows. I shoot a TR Drop Zone so fletching contact isnt a problem for me. Looks to me that it was a spine issue, that arrow was weaker on the opposite side than the others and with a little adjustment it was good to go. I re-fletched it so the cock feather would line up with the rest of them and got the DZ tuned to a perfect tear!!! Good luck!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

looks like a pretty good tear to me