Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

pulling carbons

Old 03-27-2005, 10:33 AM

Default pulling carbons

Is there anything that you can put on carbon arrows to make them easier to pull out of a mckenzie type target.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: pulling carbons

cheapest way is soap just rub some on the 1st 6 inches of the shaft.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:17 AM

armor all works pretty nice too. There are specialty things to but I have never tried those.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:39 PM

A small piece of bicycle inner tube works well to give you some grip.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rinehart targets work wonders for carbon arrows. McKenzies such big time.

Aluminum arrows work pretty good too. I just went trhough this gut wrenching pulling sequence again today. Shot four targets and just could not budge one arrow. I quit and went back to the truck, dug out the 2212's and headed back out. One of the guys I was shooting with later made the comment that he would be willing to pull mine all day long. It took two of us to pull his LineJammers.

From a personal basis one of the best things you can learn to do is keep score and let the other guys do the pulling.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:16 PM

Rhineharts are great.... Just don't miss the insert because the body can be a bit harder. I have an arrow puller to use on the arrows but man, new inserts in the critters, shooting Mckenzies or hitting the body because you misjdged yardage or just screwed up... Not fun... You want a little extra help there. If I was to go on a shopping spree for targets I know which ones I would get though, the Rhineharts are so much easier pulling than the others... And they take a beating too.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I lube mine with the earth scent anti-bacterial bar soap.

Love that dirt smell!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was out Saturday morning at the club shooting a bit. They have a elevated platform with 3D target pieces laying everywhere that you can shoot at. I shot this one Javelina target and just couldnt' get it out. I pulled the target out of the ground, and laid it flat so I could put my foot on it for extra leverage and gave it a hell of a heave and RIIIIIIP. I split my damn pants in the back the whole way from the top of the back pocket down to the seam in the crotch.

Good thing no one else was crazy enough to be out in the woods on the 3D course in 8" of snow, everyone else was indoor shooting vegas. [:-]

Guess I will be buying some of that stuff to make them easier to pull.
Old 03-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Smaller diameter carbons, invest in some PDP or "Pig" points.......these have an oversized lip or collar that is wider than the diameter of the shaft. In effect what it does plows a bigger hole for the shaft to slide into.....not burn itself into.
The heat of a carbon arrow caused by friction is what makes them stick so bad. That's why many times you'll pull and have chunks of foam melted and bonded to your shaft. IF the friction of the foam on the shaft is what slows the arrow down they're gonna stick.
Pig points work well by eliminating the surface of the shaft as the brake.

Also the best lube on the market is 'Woody's Arrow Lube" If you can't get a point big enough to overcome the outerdiameter of the shaft such as in the "Fat" carbon shafts, Woody's is the best stuff I've used. I use it every weekend, ....have to or I'd have a hernia by now.[:-]
Old 03-28-2005, 05:56 PM

I just tried some Irish Spring on my arrows, it didn't completely fix the problem but they were a lot easier to pull.

Quick Reply: pulling carbons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.