Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cobra release

Old 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default cobra release

Was was just at a bow shop looking at new releases. The guy behind the counter swears by a cobra release. This release is a trigger style but doesnt have the usual "pinch" calipers. Instead it has only a hook shaped like a C. The salesman claims it slides on to a loop very nice and will not come off until you pull the trigger. It is sold as a hand held or a wrist strap. Has any one used a release like this? Or heard way pros or cons about them? Any advise will help.

PS thanks for the replies to the other post.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:43 PM

Default RE: cobra release

I use a cobra caliper release and it is a really good release but i have never tried that one.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:53 PM

Is the release called THE MAMBA.I know it is there new release and I am also interested in knowing what people think of this release. It looks like a really nice release. Cobra has been around a long time and makes some good products. A couple friends of mine just purchased the new dropaway called THE DIAMONDBACK. It is very similar to the Trophy Taker but the launcher is made of Teflon and doesn't require you to silence it with felt or other method.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Yes it is called the Cobra Black Mamba. I just worry about the string slipping off. Check it out at their site.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I haven't shot one, but they look pretty good. They were designed for Cobra by Jerry Carter.

You can read about them at http://www.buckmasters.com/Buckmasters_Links/New_Products/NPMamba.html
Old 03-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

I really like the ease of attaching it but I am still scard that if I twist too much, it might slip off the loop. Any one shot any style like this?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:09 PM

I haven't tried the Cobra release, but I have a somewhat similar one that Winn makes for string loops. It has a C-shaped clasp that you simply insert into the loop and pull back. It is very, very easy and ultra quick to use. My only concern is the noise it makes. When you hit the trigger, the clasp opens forward and the string slips off the release. I guess all releases so that, but due to the shape it seems like it offers more opportunity for the string to vibrate upon release. When shooting, with your ear near the string, it is noticeable. I haven't had anyone stand next to me yet to see how loud it might be a few feet away, though.

BTW - I've never had it even come close to coming of the string prematurely, which was a concern I had early on. Even when letting down, there is no problem.