Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Stabilizer on Hoyt? >

Stabilizer on Hoyt?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Stabilizer on Hoyt?

Old 03-13-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Stabilizer on Hoyt?

I have a Hoyt Cybertech which seems to be a very forgiving bow. I hate to add anymore weight to my set up. Do you feel todays bows really need stabilizers and additional vibration dampening? I am not convinced the benefits of a hunting sized stabilizer outweigh the extra weight.

What is the rule of thumb for needing a stabilizer. I have heard if you suspend bow horizontally by grip, it should roll toard bottom limb. Is this true?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stabilizer on Hoyt?

I agree with you. Todays bows do not need a stabilizer that reduces noise or vibration of the bow, but a quality stabilizer will increase your accuracy. A stabilizer is just that, to help stabilize the bow for a smooth, accurate shot. A quality 10" to 12" stabilizer that is rigidly attached to the bow results in a steady bow hand and sight picture. When you hold your bow out in front of you without touching the string it should remain balanced straight up and down with no tilting backward or forward. Most bows will tend to fall back from the top. This can be adjusted by adding a little weight to the far end of the stabilizer. Your accuracy will improve and this small amount of weight will also steady your bow hand. Try a few rigid quality stabilizers. I'm sure you will be able to hold your pin on target longer and your grouping will also improve.
Good Hunting...
Old 03-14-2005, 05:05 PM

Thanks, I remember putting one on my Oneida several years after owning it. I realized a stabilizer is an item you do not miss until you do not have it anymore.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:09 PM

My own experience, if I take my stabilizer off, my broadheads don't fly as well....and I have NO idea why
Old 03-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just guessing mobowhuntr, but many shooters use a rest that doubles as an overdraw. The farther your rest is from the hole in the center of your riser to where you attach the rest or a cushion plunger, the more exaggerated any hand movement will have on the flight of the arrow as it's leaving the bow. Without a stabilizer the top of your bow is probably kicking backwards and this will definitely make a difference in arrow flight.