Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Anyone shooting sideplates on an 05 Bowtech? >

Anyone shooting sideplates on an 05 Bowtech?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anyone shooting sideplates on an 05 Bowtech?

Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Anyone shooting sideplates on an 05 Bowtech?

I posted this on AT as well, but I'm really looking for some feedback on this so I'll post it here too. For those that get annoyed by such things, tough.

I'm kicking over the idea of putting sideplates on my constitution, and I'm trying to figure out in my mind what that will look like. How's the back of the riser to shoot off of? How is the width with plates and the stock grip removed? Are the riser edges squared or rounded, and is it comfortable?

If anyone can take a pic of their setup that would be most appreciated, even if it's not a constitution, that's fine.

Rod
Old 03-11-2005, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone shooting sideplates on an 05 Bowtech?

Rod,

I know that "Tax Lawyer" over on Edersbow either has this done or is the process of getting it done. You may want to send him a pm about it.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I need to get around more. Just what are "sideplates"?

Duh........never mind.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont know why you would want to do that , bowtechs grips are allready alittel too skinny for me . Their grips , and hoyts have to be some of the skinnyist of all the manufactures .
Old 03-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Thanks Frank I'll check that out.

Sideplates are a grip that does not extend around the backside of the riser. Rather just a "plate" on each side of the grip, like what Hoyt uses.

ijummy, I'll tell you why I want to do that. I don't like BT's grips very much. I like that they are thin, but IMO they are not condusive to repeatable hand placement. It would be nice if they had a thumb grove on the right side. That would really help. I don't really have a problem with torquing, but rather trying to get hand placement exactly the same from shot to shot. It makes a difference for me between an x and a 5.

I can grip a Hoyt Protec with sideplates exactly the same from shot to shot, but on my Constitution it is much more difficult. I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing. With the Hoyt my hand just slides into the same place automagically w/o thinking about it. Not so with the BT.

Rod
Old 03-11-2005, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: HotLZ

ijummy, I'll tell you why I want to do that. I don't like BT's grips very much. I like that they are thin, but IMO they are not condusive to repeatable hand placement. It would be nice if they had a thumb grove on the right side. That would really help. I don't really have a problem with torquing, but rather trying to get hand placement exactly the same from shot to shot. It makes a difference for me between an x and a 5.

I can grip a Hoyt Protec with sideplates exactly the same from shot to shot, but on my Constitution it is much more difficult. I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing. With the Hoyt my hand just slides into the same place automagically w/o thinking about it. Not so with the BT.

Rod
I agree HotLZ, had the same problem shooting the stock grip. I am not shooting side plates but I did remove my grip to install a Shrewd. I didn't shoot it but played around with the feel of the bare riser and it felt good. I believe it is similiar to the Hoyt. You are going to gain about 1/4" draw length if you decide to shoot off the riser. Also be careful removing the grip, I gouged my riser a little because I did not realize the entire thing was glued on.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:51 PM

How did you wind up getting the old grip off? Did you get it off in one piece? How do you like the shrewd?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HotLZ

How's the back of the riser to shoot off of? How is the width with plates and the stock grip removed? Are the riser edges squared or rounded, and is it comfortable?

If you ask me it's the only way to go... I've been shooting BowTech's since 2000 and have taken the grip off every one, it's the first thing I do when setting up a new bow. I prefer the flat back and rounded edges of the bare riser and it fits my palm real nice...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

How did you wind up getting the old grip off? heat and a screwdriver

Did you get it off in one piece? No

How do you like the shrewd? I've tried them and I still prefer the bare riser
Old 03-12-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand that , and am actualy haveing the same problem with my old glory , I am used to a high grip , like dartons grip promotes . I was thinking of just wraping some simms grip tape around the lower 3/4 of the grip . Heat and a screwdriver , would probably spell disaster in my hands

Quick Reply: Anyone shooting sideplates on an 05 Bowtech?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.