Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners) >

Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners)

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners)

Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners)

In theory, you're correct HuntingBry. I really need to get to another Chrono somewhere and shoot through it again. I did crank up my poundage and am now closer to 66-67lbs. I am experimenting with some lighter setup stuff right now. Mainly just ditching the Duravanes I have been shooting and going to the Blazers. That alone is a 15 grain drop in arrow weight.

I should just crank it to 70 and forget about it. the 66 or so pounds that I have now feels much less to pull to me, but I like the comfort factor I get from it being less. Maybe I'll experiment with it a bit.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

muzzy, don't get too caught up in the numbers. I don't know what applications your looking for, but if the BC says you're getting 305 at 5 grains per inch then you should be fine. If you want to use the bow for hunting keep you hunting arrow weight up a little bit, because let's face it I'm shooting a 407 grain arrow 274 fps which is 68 ft. lbs. of energy. If I went to 350 grains and would be shooting about 295 fps at a 65 lb. I'd still be at 68 ft. lbs. of energy. You should be fine where you are now.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingBry, I'm really not, I just feel like tinkering some

I would like to see what speed gain I can get, mainly for 3D. I plan on setting up a special set of arrows just for 3D and a slightly heavier setup for hunting. What goofed me up was the fact that the shop that I bought the bow scaled it at 65lbs on their scale. Every other scale I checked since then showed only about 63lbs. I put a full turn in each limb and am at about 66 or 67 pounds now. That, and I didn't realize at the time that a 4" Duravane weighs 12.1 grains per fletch![:-]
Old 03-08-2005, 02:10 PM

MM08,
I just bought a set of arrows for exactly that. I got some GT 22 pro's. I have some little baby 1.75" vanes and will use 80 or 90 gr glue in points. These arrows should scream out of my OG, and will be for 3D only. I have my "heavy" hunting arrows from last year that were great flyers.
I love to tinker with this stuff. I am even jumping to the open class this year, fancy target sight, scope and all.

JMAC
Old 03-08-2005, 04:07 PM

Finally had time to fling a few through the chrono.

60lb, 30", Old Glory

Birth Certificate; 60.7lb, 300gr, 318fps

My speeds with loop, 2 tied nocks, and tru-peep (no string silencers) at 60 lbs:

335 gr @ 296 fps
420 gr @ 274 fps
510 gr @ 243 fps
Old 03-09-2005, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanx everyone for the feedback/comments. I'm still undecided, LOL, but leaning towards an OG.

BTW, no defender owners?

and I just HAD to comment on this:
ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

It is going to be hard going back to a "shortie" for hunting...if I do.
Would you like me to email you an "I told ya so", or would you prefer I do it right here? I knew if you gave them some time, you'd figger it out

BTW Frank...in your comparison of the Pro40F cam and the OG..are you saying the OG is @ 60 pounds or is it set @ 64 pounds to match the P40F?
Old 03-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Jeff...you were partly right. I am too stubborn to give you more than that. I do have a Diamond Triumph on order though and that bugger is only 31 inches..... For hunting...those shorter bows just have too special of an appeal for me to just give up on them completely.

The Old Glory is set right at 60 pounds while the Pro 40 Freedom is set at 64 pounds. I have the Pro 40 cranked all the way down as I wanted to get as much speed out of it as possible. At 64 pounds it is still an absolute dream to draw with that Freedom cam.

The draw cycle on the Old Glory is so much different from the Freedom cam that it is taking a bit to become accustomed to. That is the reason I have it backed off to 60 pounds. After another week or two I will probably bump it up 3 or 4 pounds though I really don't see a reason to considering the numbers it is putting out.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:48 AM

Hey PA...Hows it going.Hope all is well

Dont' know if you know but when you back out on the new cams in pondage your letoff can really go to poop..........A couple twists in the top cable will get you a good valley and letoff.

Good luck with the new bow(s)
Old 03-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

RA,

I was unaware of that. The valley and letoff did not feel significantly different when I adjusted the draw weight. Is it possible that the cam (in relation to my draw length) may be playing some part in my perception of it? I will have to check when I get home later.

On the other hand, did you find that adding twists to the top cable changed the timing significantly?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I bought a Defender. I haven't shot it much as it has #6 cams (28"), and I'm waiting on #4s (29"). It was the only 60#er the shop was getting, so I decided to get it and order cams. What shooting I have done has been very good. Groups at 35 yds are very tight, even though I fell so crowded at 28". Nothing happens but the arrow is gone at the shot. I'd say as quiet as my Liberty. Vibration/recoil are very nearly the same. The Liberty may exhibit slightly less. I wanted something more like the Mighty Mite I liked so well. This bow is way better. Speed may be a bit less, though not much (BC 292 at 60#, 28"). I expect it should shoot my 385 gr hunting arrows in the mid 270s. It's set up with a CJ Pro II, TT original, and Wild Thing stabe. Hush kit is still there.

Quick Reply: Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.