HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/93040-humor-me-please-equalizer-cam-bow-owners.html)

JeffB 03-07-2005 05:47 AM

Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners)

OK, I don't get around here very often anymore (and am too lazy to search all the threads), so please fill me in on what kind of speeds you are getting out of your 2005 BowTechs please. (details on model, draw length, poundage, string gear, and arrow weight would be greatly appreciated)

In particular I'm interested in the OG and Allegiance, but I'd like to hear from Defender owners too.

Just debating whether it's worth getting a 2005 or keeping my 80 pound Liberty, which I get 290 out of @ 5 grains per LB (which is supa-quiet and smooth as a baby's behind w/ that setup)

Thanx:D

muzzyman88 03-07-2005 05:57 AM

RE: Humor Me please (for equalizer cam bow owners)

Jeff, I'm shooting an Allegiance right now and with a 370 grain arrow at 63lbs I was getting 275 out of it. Since I didn't realize my poundage was that low (idiots at shop set it for me) I 've turned it up a turn and am getting pretty close 65 - 66lbs. I've gotten rid of Bohning vanes which were a whopping 12gr a piece and went to a 2in vane on my target arrows. My arrow weight now is about 355 so I figured I'd be getting around 280 or a little more out of it now. Still well over 5 gr a pound and this is with a 28" draw. I have the hush kit, string loop and peep on the string as well.

What people are finding is that the new cams are very efficient. Depending on your draw length, if you are anything of 29" or over, you'll get smoking speeds out of either. My buddy on here, PAHardwoods is shooting an Old Glory at 70lbs, 29" with a 370ish grain arrow at 295.

I think you may be very impressed with these bows. Why pull 80lbs to get the same or better speeds than you can at 70?

JeffB 03-07-2005 06:24 AM

Thanx for the info Muzz :)

as for this.....

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88
Why pull 80lbs to get the same or better speeds than you can at 70?
Three reasons..

One: I still find the F-cam bows at 80 to pull easier than 70 on the E-cam bows. F-cam peaks a bit later but drops off immediately like an energy wheel.

Two: I'm getting 5/8" more brace outta the Liberty compared to the Allegiance.

Three: The Liberty is quieter. Not by a huge margin, but I shot a 400 grain arrow out of the 29/70 allegiance and the same arrow in my 80 pound Liberty, and the Liberty has it beat.

ampahunter 03-07-2005 08:03 AM

but I shot a 400 grain arrow out of the 29/70 allegiance and the same arrow in my 80 pound Liberty, and the Liberty has it beat.
JeffB--that's not matching 'apples with apples'.
Not hammering the Liberty in any way, as I also own a Liberty & the Allegiance. I found with both bows being configured evenly, my Allegiance is quieter & faster than the Liberty. But, not by much.
I agree with you when it comes to drawing the bow--the initial draw on the Allegiance acquires a little more effort, IMO, but this bow is quite a nice bow. However, we each have our own preferences, likes and dislikes--like everything, it takes a bit of time getting use to--at first I myself was a little worried--but I changed a few things on my Allegiance, including the 'grip', that made quite a difference for me--and man I can't stay away from this darn bow now!!![8D].

JeffB 03-07-2005 08:07 AM

ORIGINAL: ampahunter
JeffB--that's not matching 'apples with apples'.
No it's not, but in this case you have the liberty right at 5 grains per pound, and the Allegiance closer to 6 gpp. The Liberty would be even quieter if I bumped up the arrow weight to match.

jmac_or 03-07-2005 08:11 AM

Jeff,
I have not chrono'd my OG, but the birth cert said 305 fps using a 300 gr arrow at 29.5" and 60.4#'s. Keep in mind that the brace on some is higher than the spec. Mine came at 7 3/4" and it shoots like a dream. The 70# liberty at the shop is not quieter than my 60# OG, and I get way more speed. Both are set up with the same hush kit stuff and a pair of limbsavers. I love the way the OG holds. Best bow I have ever shot and my scores continue to prove that. I am setting up my 3D arrows and I will chrono them for you. I should be around 300, as I will be very close to 5 gpp.
JMAC

JeffB 03-07-2005 08:19 AM

Thx for the info Jmac

re: this

ORIGINAL: jmac_or
Keep in mind that the brace on some is higher than the spec. Mine came at 7 3/4"........
I did not check brace height on the one I shot...was there a change in specs for the OG once they got further into production(as compared to what is in the catalog)?

I would assume this would drop the speed ratings a tad from what is listed online and in the catalog...

hmmmm....

reylamb 03-07-2005 08:48 AM

The online speeds and specs are correct, I am not sure which catalog you are looking at. The first specs that came out had theOG in the 320 ball park, and it is not. There are also 2 string and cable lengths for the OG floating around also......

OG
28" measured and dead on
64#s
330 gr arrow
286 fps
String loop, factory string doohickeys, specialty super peep with clarifier.

Jeepnut 03-07-2005 09:25 AM

Jeff,
It's my understanding that they did make a change to the OG right around the first of the year. They stepped up one cam# and changed string/cable lenghts which also changed the brace & speed just a bit.

For example:
Originally a 30" OG would have had #4 cams, 59 7/8" string, 41 7/8" cables, a brace of 7.25" and a speed in the 315-320 range.

A 30" OG produced after the first of the year will have #5 cams, 60" string, 41 9/16" cables, a brace of 7.5" and speeds in the 305-310 range.

I recently picked up a used 60lb, 30" OG & assumed I'd have to change cams to fit my draw. I typically shoot around 28.5 or 29" depending on the bow, but for some reason this OG at 30" seems to fit. I'll have to set it up & do a little more shooting to be sure, but I may just leave it at 30, as long as I'm not over-extending myself or otherwise altering my form to do so.

My OG is one with the original specs. Birth certificate reads 60.7 lbs, 300 grain arrow, 318 fps. Once I get the time to set it up & have some daylight to shoot thru the chrono I'll let you know what I'm getting.

HuntingBry 03-07-2005 10:30 AM

Jeff, my Allegiance came from the factory shooting a 350 grain arrow 302 fps at 71.5 lbs 28" with the hush kit and a single brass nock.

My set up is as follows:
407 grain arrow
65 lb. draw weight
28 1/4" draw at 80% let-off
Speeds were 273, 275, 274, 273

I'm guessing that at 71 lb. draw I'd be between 278 and 281 at that arrow weight. The new BowTechs with the E-Cams are true performers.