Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Weights are having an adverse affect... >

Weights are having an adverse affect...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Weights are having an adverse affect...

Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Weights are having an adverse affect...

I haven't shot my bow in a couple of months. Coincidentally, I started working out again at the beginning of January. I have gained a lot of strength in the weight room in that time. However, when I went to draw my bow back, I struggled a little. I went for about 5 years without lifting and I could draw 70 lbs back hard enough to snap the limbs if I wanted to. But now 70 lbs feels about like 90 lbs did before I started lifting. Any explanation for this?
Old 03-03-2005, 07:05 AM

Default RE: Weights are having an adverse affect...

i beleive its hard to work the muscles you use when drawing a bow while working out.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think gibblet is on the right track. The muscles that you use to draw your bow back may not necessarily be the same muscles (or might not be used in the same capacity) as the muscles you are using in your workouts. Truth be told, I found much the same as you. I have had times when I was not working out and the bows tend to feel like they draw much easier.

Then again it just could be all mental.....
Old 03-03-2005, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it's mental because I was expecting to it much much easier than it normally would. Also, I don't think it's a matter of not working out those muscles because I am not an all year shooter and I can a couple of months at any given time without shooting or working out and draw 70 lbs with no effort. It doesn't matter how long I go between drawing the bow or shooting 70 lbs is just easy to draw. I could not shoot for 3 months and go grab a 90 lb bow and pull it back rather easily. But now since I started lifting again, all of the sudden 70 lbs feels like 90 lbs used to. I don't understand it.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:20 AM

Going through the same thing SA ........been working out hard again for about 5 weeks !!

I bought a used Conquest 2 for 3-d shooting and at 60# it feels great............pull out the hunting bow on 76# and it feels like a bear !! Back before I started working out it was very easy to draw !!

I have been wondering the same thing ??? And to add to it......it seems much harder to hold steady when you've been working out !! I think that's why I quit working out a while back !!
Old 03-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

the best weight training workout you can get for shooting a bow is actually shooting the bow.
I dont know how many times I have to tell you guys this[8D]
Old 03-03-2005, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Bigpapascout

the best weight training workout you can get for shooting a bow is actually shooting the bow.
I dont know how many times I have to tell you guys this[8D]
Old 03-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know how many times I have to tell you guys this
I am not trying to get stronger for drawing the bow. I didn't need to get any stronger for that. I have actually gotten weaker in those muscles since I started working out.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:15 AM

Face it, you're getting older just like the rest of us.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:14 AM

One reason could be that because you are working out hard your muscles are stressed and tired.Kinda like trying to work out hard with the same muscle groups 2 days in a row.

CB

Quick Reply: Weights are having an adverse affect...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.