Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Winners Choice String Question??!! >

Winners Choice String Question??!!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Winners Choice String Question??!!

Old 03-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Winners Choice String Question??!!

I shoot a Mathews Switchback and I am a 28.5 inch draw. I am changing my string to a Winners Choice from a Baracuda Zebra Twist. My understanding of the Z Twist is that it tends to stretch a whole lot, and I have heard nothing but good things about the Winners Choice strings. My question is when I make the swap do I also need to change the cables.
The String runs 59.95 and the cables run 39.95. So we are talking 100 dollars for a complete change over. I have been told that I do not really need to change the Cables though because they won't stretch. Is this true or should I go ahead and change both. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:29 PM

Default RE: Winners Choice String Question??!!

first of all. your bow is new so unless you've shot an ungodly amount. your cables should be ok. I'd just go w/ the strings for now. maybe change then next year. I use winners choice on my bow. the best there is!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

www.prostring.com

This is another custom stringmaker that I hear about that is cheaper than WC.

I have the WC string and cable on my bow, but will prob. try a different maker next time around....just to change for experience
Old 03-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also do a search on archerytalk.com on Vapor Trail and their new VTX material, there is nothing but good reports over there on the stuff. I just bought the VTX string and cable for my 04 patriot and I can say it certainly looks and seems to be of VERY high quality. They are the only people making strings from this new VTX material, and so far the reports on them on bows for nearly a year over on AT.com are saying no stretch at all and increased speeds. Mine has not been on long enough to comment on stretch and I have not shot thorugh a chrono yet though. I paid $75 for the string, cable, and a tube of their recommended wax. They made most of the Bowtech factory strings throughout 04 and many other manufacturers as well, so they have been around for a long time and are not a fly by night shop.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I would change the string and cable together. Its kind of pointless to just change one because they are made out of the same material, if the string stretches so will the cable.

Winners choice makes a really good product but I put a Vapor Trail string and cable on my new switchback $65 for both vs. $100 for the Winner's Choice and I cannot tell any difference.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:34 AM

The Zebra strings stretched like crazy.........the new Barracuda's are pre-stretched and not supposed to have the problems Zebras did !!

I would shoot them for a little while and see how they perform.......unless your having any major problems ! The Zebra division of Mathews is really pushing these strings........so if you have any serving problems etc......I am sure they would replace your strings at no cost !

But "if" you go with WC.....make sure you get them without the x-coat (diameter is too big for the roller guard's)!

I lost 6 fps when changing to them from the original Zebra's on my OB.....completely worth it for the better performance ! I have heard that white or light colored strings with less pigment weight less than colorful strings...........so if you ordered one with white and anonther light color.....you may not lose as many fps ! Mine are red/black !
Old 03-02-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes sir, change 'em BOTH at the same time. The WC strings are first class products and they stand behind them 100%. Try to make sure you change the entire system. They WILL function together perfectly that way and you won't have to worry about the stretch of the inferior product throwing you off.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of your advise! I think that I will go ahead and change them both. I would rather go ahead and change them both and not have to worry that the cables might stretch and throw me off.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you mark you cam in reference to the limb when you have it all dialed in you can just watch it to see if there is any stretching going on. I see a lot of people dumping the Baracudas before giving them a chance. It's your $100. spend if you must. Myself- I would be putting that towards anew stand or groundblind, maybe another dozen arrows.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:16 AM

LB......one more tid bit of advise !! Even as awesome as the winner's choice are..........don't expect to put them on and see no stretch at all !! All strings are going to stretch "some" when first set up .........warmer climates will be worse than cooler climates !

It took me a couple hundreds shots and 2-3 tweaks before I got my WC locked in ..........down here in the summer heat and high humidity last year !!

Like Dave..........I would give the Barracudas a fair chance before I dumped them !!