Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Question for Len in Maryland >

Question for Len in Maryland

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question for Len in Maryland

Old 03-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for Len in Maryland

Hey Len,
I have been reading alot of your posts and being a newbie(long absence from bowhunting) was hoping to get your opinion on bow strings. I just bought a Reflex Grizzly and want to replace the tube type peep with a tubeless. The kid in the proshop told me that I had a very low end string and it would not stabilize a tubeless peep. Quoted me over 100 dollars to replace my string. I paid less than 400 for the entire bow with sights, quiver and rest so that sounds a bit much. I guess the question is, is he right first of all? And secondly would upgrading to a better string give me a quieter shooting bow or any other advantage? Don't mind spending "some" money but only if I will notice a difference. I would like to switch away from the tube type peep though as it looks like something that will eventually fail at the worst time. Thanks
Old 03-01-2005, 12:11 PM

Default RE: Question for Len in Maryland

terrym, len would be able to answer your question the best, I didn't realize at first but after reading all his post he does know bows and is very knowledgable. Anyways with regards to the grizzly I also purchased one and really enjoy shooting it for the price its a great bow as far as the string goes I shoot a tubless peep and have had know problems when I installed it the string was a good quality string not the best mind you but until its time for a change it will work get I have had put quit a few arrows through mine and have yet to notice any string stretch if any it has been very little so far and the slam1/2 cams have yet to go out of sync. well that is my experience with the grizzly so far, but Len well probaly give you a more in depth and technical opinion, good luck
Old 03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

well that is my experience with the grizzly so far, but Len well probaly give you a more in depth and technical opinion, good luck
Snowman,
Thanks a lot for the response and reassurance. I have already bought a tubeless and will try it asap. So far I am also quite pleased with the Grizzly, its not a Bowtech or Mathews but then again it costs less than half.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:32 PM

Terry:

I appreciate your kind words. I do not, however, comment on individual circumstances for several reasons. First, I would be inundated with threads, PMs, and e-mails and not have much time for my customers. Second, I would be taking income away from my peers who have more first-hand/personal knowledge about the circumstances.

I try to deal mainly with major topics that pertain to the technical side of the industry. Even then I guage my words carefully.

I will say this about your question. As far as "The kid in the proshop ...", it doesn't appear that he's knowledgeable enough yet. From what you posted, it sounds like he needs to work a lot more in the PROfession. Customers can be turned off quickly if they feel or find that someone is 'pushing' products/services on them that aren't necessary.[:@]
Old 03-01-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len I M ,
Understood Sir, thanks. Yes the kid sort of turned me off which is a shame as we really don't have alot of choice to shop around here and in fact they are a full service shop complete with a nice 3D course which I plan on using this summer. I was going to buy a dozen GT XTs from them even though they are more than what I can mail order them now I am having second guesses. I do believe in supporting a good shop with my money, lord knows I have put at least one of my favourite gun shops kids through school. Thanks .
Old 03-01-2005, 08:38 PM

Terry:

Don't 'cut off your nose to spite your face'. In other words, try to work with him/the shop. You said they have a lot of assets. Maybe telling him about the responses you got here might make him/them 'think' a little more about their customer relations.

Sometimes it's better to have a real person with good assets to deal with rather than a salesperson on the other end of a telephone.

If he tells you something to the contrary, you might suggest to him that he attend an ATA Seminar. Tell him I'd like to meet him.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:44 AM

It seems to me that it would be very simple to see if the shop was right. Install a tubeless peep and see if it moves. This will be inexpensive to do and the peep can still be used if you decide to go with the better string. You can get custom made strings a lot cheaper, but a good Winners Choice String will cost in that ballpark.

Personally, I'm one who believes the string is probably more important than the bow you choose. Even though the bowshop person did not come across well, he may be right.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:39 AM

a good string is important to me also because it means less time fiddlin and more time shooting.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:44 AM

Someday your strings will have to be replaced and a good set of custom strings is not cheap ($70 to $100). You can purchase a bowmaster bowpress and change them yourself. It will save you time and $$$$
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is a fact that a good quality string will present less problems re: peep alignment. But it is also a fact that a stock string may work fine. The biggest difference will be how often you may, or may not, need to mess with your peep. I'd put a peep in the stock string and see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Question for Len in Maryland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.