Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Anyone going back to aluminum? >

Anyone going back to aluminum?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Anyone going back to aluminum?

Old 02-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone going back to aluminum?

After seeing those spooky pictures of the poor guys hand that was skewered with the carbon arrow that failed anybody thinking of switching to aluminums? Makes you think
Old 02-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Default RE: Anyone going back to aluminum?

I am going back to aluminum this season after seeing that post.[&:]
Old 02-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, The benefits of carbon shafts far outweigh the couple of draw backs that they have. There are a good number of carbon arrow makers that are addressing the spine consistancy and degredation of the carbon arrows and they are getting better and better all the time.

Don't think that can't happen to an aluminum shaft also.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

What happened in those pictures is not the norm. Just as in anything else, the more something is used the more possibility that something can happen. It's called the laws of probablity. Any serious archer that shoots a lot and takes time to learn about things knows to check out the condition of their carbon arrows often, especially when shooting tight groups and/or hitting something hard.

I've been shooting carbons for over 10 years and no mishaps so far. But I don't take for granted that everything is perfect all the time. It's like having a string or cable break made from synthetic materials. Ten years ago a string could snap just for no reason at all. They could last for years or every once in a while one would break that was only a few days old. Progress has made this much better, just as carbon arrow technology is much better.

That being said, I have just made the switch back to aluminums for our winter 3D league outside. The only beef I have with carbon arrows is that they are a bear to pull from McKenzies, and even harder in cold weather. Lube or no lube, makes no difference. The only thing that helps is Rinehart targets and not every club has them.

So I put the 23 Speeds away and get out the 2312's.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:48 PM

I have always shot aluminum and i dont think i will be changing anytime soon.

BB90
Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with bigbull's on this matter ,all it take's is a little inspection of your carbon's before use and if you find any white spot's or flaw's then you get rid of that arrow. I do hear of alot of hunter's Terry that do use Alluminum arrow's for bowhunting bear's ,but I think this is a penetration issue.This might be a good question to ask on this forum.

nubo
Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 PM

Ah let me think about it..........................NO
Old 02-24-2005, 06:30 PM

I shoot both. Big fat ones when I am shooting indoors for score, and carbon for 3d and hunting.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

were are the pics?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:26 PM
pah

I'm thinking about it for one of my bows, not because of those pictures, because aluminums are alot straighter and have more consistant spine. A lady shooting league a couple weeks ago had a cx100 snap in two when it hit the target, she's lucky it didn't break on release.

Quick Reply: Anyone going back to aluminum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.