Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What are the advantages (if any) of using arrow wraps? >

What are the advantages (if any) of using arrow wraps?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What are the advantages (if any) of using arrow wraps?

Old 02-20-2005, 01:54 PM

Default What are the advantages (if any) of using arrow wraps?

I've just purchased some new arrows and havn't decided if I want to use some wraps on them or not. I will be fletching them with 3 4" right helical feathers. I've heard that the feathers or fletching stick better to the wrap and won't get pulled off as easily if they pass through a target. (foam or compressed)

Other than the making the arrow look better, am I looking to gain anything by putting these on my arrows?
Old 02-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are the advantages (if any) of using arrow wraps?

The vains/feathers will stick alot better than bare shaft. Plus if your arrow is flying weird you can see it better. Plus they just make your arrow look hot.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Like Dairy King said, they do help with the adhesion of your vanes and feathers, and when you mess up a vane or feather there is virtually no glue to scrape off. They do help in visually seeing your arrow fly. I custom make my own wraps and prefer to have white ones especially for hunting so I can get a real good sense as to what type of blood is coming from the animal as to determine what vitals I hit. Another area where they help is in FOC. If your FOC is too high it will help lower your FOC into an aceptable range bu adding more weight to the back end. (about 8-10grains or so) But I personally think FOC is way overrated. But then lastly they can personalize and make your arrows look very cool. For those that like to be fashionable and have great looking arrows they are for you.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Advantage: Easy to see. Disadvantage: Added weight.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:32 PM

Disadvantage: Added weight.
Just curious, but how does adding 8-10 grains on a hunting arrow become a disadvantage? If anything, I think it would give you a little more KE.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

No advantages they just make your arrows look real COOL[8D]
Old 02-20-2005, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Advantage: Easy to see. Disadvantage: Added weight.
We all know that a deer will not die if an arrow is not travelling at over 300FPS. [:'(]
Weight is a good thing.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used them, but I think my hunting arrows will be sporting them this year thanks to PAHardwoods. He makes some awesome wraps and can pretty much design whatever you want, which is nice because you won't have what everyone else does at the range. Enter the "coolness factor"

I run into a dilemma last year on a deer I shot that I didn't have a clue as to exactly where he was hit. Had I had my arrows wrapped might have made a huge difference in tracking the arrow during the shot.

Weight? They add a little, but like PAHardwoods already stated, they wont add enough to talk about really.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ewolf. I agree with the added weight. I shoot XX78 in 2514 with 125 grain broadheads. I guess my point is, when this gentleman wraps his arrows will he retune his set up? I would think not. Nex hunting season he will be wondering why his arrow doesn't hit the same spot and all the pin setting are different. Swamp Dawg had mentioned about 8 to 10 grains of added weight. I have no idea how much they acutally weight, but a nock is 5 to 7 grains with the insert.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

You would have to retune your whole set up after just 8-10 grains are added? [&:]

And also, if you lose your arrow under the grass or in the woods, you can see it better. Believe me it helps alot.

Quick Reply: What are the advantages (if any) of using arrow wraps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.