Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 New Compound Hunter >

New Compound Hunter

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Compound Hunter

Old 02-17-2005, 11:58 AM

Default New Compound Hunter

All,

Been browsing your boards today and there is a lot of information out there. I have been a longbow hunter for about 10 years but do not have the amount of time it takes to keep my accuracy up with it anymore. A friend of mine bought a new bow and gave me his old backup. He didn't remember when he bought it but it is a Hoyt Enticer. It has split Carbonite limbs. Draw length is 29 inches and set at 65 lbs. He left the sights and arrow rest on it. My question is what now? There is a local archery shop but I don't want to look like an idiot going in there and they have a reputation of taking advantage of new blood. All I have ever shot is traditional arrows and the like so talking about aluminum v/s carbon is something I have never had any reason to think about. Any suggestions for this new soul would be helpful. Thanks for your time.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 PM

Default RE: New Compund Hunter

Where do you live mwyatt?i can't believe there is not another bow shop around.I am sure you could get some good advice from some of the guys.Everyone is very helpful
Old 02-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Compund Hunter

I guess first off you need to determine if the 29" draw length is good for you. If not its likely got enough adjustment to suit you. Since it has sights and a rest you basically need arrows and a quiver of some type and you can start shooting. If you don't want to deal with the local shop you can always mail order all the other accessories you will talk yourself into as you get into it more.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Default RE: New Compound Hunter

I'm new to archery, but I would certainly suggest finding a pro-shop that you are comfortable with and head there for your hands on information. I learned a lot about archery from this forum, but you just can't beat the hands on instructions, directions, and measurements that a good pro can give you in person.
I say pick a Saturday and make a day of it if there are no other archery shops in your area.
Good luck!