Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

helical twists?

Old 09-07-2002, 07:44 PM

Default helical twists?

What do you all think? I have been shooting straight for ever what are the advantages? I have noticed fletching seems to tear off easier on a helical twist, When i get my next dozen should i try it or not and what degree and right or left? thanks

"She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home."
Old 09-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: helical twists?

To prevent planeing of an arrow especially when using fixed blade broadheads you need to get the arrow spining as quick as possible out of the bow and that is where helical fletching comes in. The left/right isn't relative unless you shoot a helical bladed broadhead then it is important to match helicals or your shooting off the shelf of a stick bow or shelf style rest on a compound. Some will say they perfer a right helical so it doesn't spin opposite the threads of the broadhead which they say loosens the tip but shooting left helical, I've never had this problem. Also, I haven't had helical fletch tear off any more or less than straight fletch if done properly.

I perfer and recommend a helical fletch in conjunction with a fixed blade head to optimize stability of the arrow for tuning, however unless your having a problem in that area, you needn't change. You can and I also recommend an offset fletch.

The one downfall of helical is greater clearance needed on shoot through style rests and depending on the size of the arrow, this is sometimes difficult.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-07-2002, 09:00 PM

I have been using strait fletches for the last year. I didn't know any different. Now that I am hearing all this offset and helical talk I am considering changing. I have a TH hunter style rest, 100 gr. thunderheads, and 29&quot; 2315 arrows. What size fletching and degree offset should I use to keep from getting contact? Thanks
Old 09-13-2002, 06:30 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I have been using strait fletches for the last year. I didn't know any different. Now that I am hearing all this offset and helical talk I am considering changing. I have a TH hunter style rest, 100 gr. thunderheads, and 29&quot; 2315 arrows. What size fletching and degree offset should I use to keep from getting contact? Thanks
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> I was using a TM style rest and had contact with my vanes.I found it to be my papertuning problem. If you are using carbon arrows it is even worst due to the thin shaft size. I cured my problems with a drop away style rest. with those rests it does not mater how much twist is in the fletch.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

With my fixed bladed broadheads, I will shoot nothing but helical. But the degree of helical that you can use will be dictated by the type of rest you use. Personally, I use a drop away, so I don't have any problem with clearance.

Old 09-14-2002, 11:31 PM

I think it would depend a lot on the speed of the arrow.
If a arrow is flying 275 fps and your target is only 20 yards away is helical fletchings really going to matter?
Just a thought.

Mathews Ultra2