Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 How many twists??? >

How many twists???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many twists???

Old 04-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many twists???

I recently strung my Mathews Q2 with Winners Choice strings.
Now I am having a terrible time tuning my bow. I keep getting a " nock left" tear.
I contacted a tech at Muzzy thinking it may be my rest.
He told me that I should check my Idler wheel to be sure it was not torqued and inquired as to how many twists I had in my string and cables.
So my question is: How many twists do you have in your cables and strings?
Thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How many twists???

Rule of thumb I use is one twist for every 2 inches. So on a 100" string you may have 50 twists (though I usually start somewhere between 20-30 twists). Now that is just a rule and you may have more or less depending on how close the custom made string is to the stock string (which can vary by alot). Also don' t be afraid to go the other way with the rest. I had one once that gave me a nock left tear and I couldn' t get rid of it until I went the other way then I was " supposed" to go. Also sometimes a little goes a long way, move it in very small increments.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:06 PM

I just purchased a Winner' s choice for my Legacy. I got tired of the " Monkey Twist" ( or your own slang name for the Mathews twist strings). I talked Winners' Chioce and they said the string should come ready to put on the bow. I am assuming they have already twisted the string before packaging it for shipment.

I am also wondering about the technical info though. I don' t know if I trust just puting it on. I would like to know the optimum number of twist. I will try the twist per every 2 inches.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info...but what about the cables?
Does the same rule apply?

Maybe it' s time to get in touch w/ someone from Winners Choice?
Old 04-21-2003, 08:00 PM
tm
Fork Horn

You' ll find that Winners Choice has many more twists than 1 for every 2" unless they' re different than the Winners Choice I' ve seen. Not that it' s bad, & if you take twists out to make it 1 for 2" you' ll lengthen the string beyond specs. Even the Zebra strings are coming with more twists in them which helps stabilize the string. JFYI
Old 04-22-2003, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks tm, I am going to take my string off and start all over again.[:' (]
I guss I will ahve to call Winners Choice to find out what they recommend.
I was just wondering if anyone out there knew from fist hand experience what the deal was. Figured I was already sitting here f__ing off so I may as well put it to the board for it' s infinite wisedom!....and oh...look there....it' s my phone....maybe I should pick it up and call....OK, I think I will!

I' ll post the details here later.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:23 PM

What Tm said. I go one twist per inch to start out and then tweak from there.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

When I make a string, I lay it out slightly long (depending on the final length) and then put twists in to get it back to spec. My starting point is 1 twist per 2" of string length, maybe a few more. So when I' m done with the string it' s pretwisted, stretched, and at the spec length.

I have found that if you put in a highter twist count, then you might not have enough " room" to apply more twists once the string is on the bow. If I made a string that had 1 twist per inch, and then gave it to the person buying the string and he found that for his draw length he needed to put in quite a few twists- it may not work so well. Could be at the point of too much twisting.

Many people just read the specs of string length- and it may not be what the length is actually on the bow. So there can be a difference between what the factory spec is, and what the person currently has on the bow. I' ve run into this mostly when restringing single cam bows. I have to ask the person if they want it back to factory specs, OR if they want it exactly the way they gave it to me.

Now if I have the bow in question in my possession and all the specs that the person wants- then I can make the string exactly to the draw length, poundage, a-to-a length, and brace height that the person wants. In that case I may put in a few more twists than 1 per 2" because I know that there won' t be many more, if any, twists added.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you read the insert winners choice put in the package with the string ? I belive [ not positive ] that winners choice puts 1 twist per inch on their strings and they ship them with a paper clip on them so they have the corect number of twist in them when you recive them . It is alot of twists but they know what they are doing . I know that the number of twist effects peep rotation and that is why they put the number of twist in them that they do . If you make your own strings you might be abel to go 1 twist to every 2 inches and have it work fine . I know the hoyt and martin bows I' ve owned had very littel or no twist at all in them and they had big problems with peep rotation . I guess this is why they tell you to measure your axil to axil and brace height before you change something or when your bow is shooting good that way you can twist or untwist to get the same measurements .
Old 04-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

As it turns out, I had too many twists in the yoke on the cable.
Let out a few twists, then individually twisted each half of the yoke until I reached perfect idler wheel alignment.
I' ll have to wait to paper tune it until I get some more shots on the string, but everything looks good right now.

Quick Reply: How many twists???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.