Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Blazer problem?? >

Blazer problem??

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Blazer problem??

Old 02-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Blazer problem??

I just fletched up some arrows with blazer vanes and when I shoot them right along side my 4 in. feathers, they are about 6-8 in. lower. Does anyone know what could be causing this? Same arrow,bow etc.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Blazer problem??

What is your setup? You may want to check your FOC. The Blazers should be lighter than your other fletching which would move your FOC forward and this may cause your arrow to want to dive some. I shoot blazers and my FOC is around 10% and they fly beautiful for me. Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:50 PM

I just checked my FOC and it was 10.6%.

Before it was 11.1% not a huge differenc in my opinion...
Old 02-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's weird. When I shoot blazer vaned arrows next to duravaned arrows the blazers always shoot a little higher. Maybe 1" or so.

Here's a guess- the feathers are flat the first few feet of flight and the blazers, hard as they are, are not flexing during the initial few feet of leaving the bow. Therefore they are heading to a place the arrow is pointed during the entire duration of it's flight path. Not just where the arrow is pointed after feather shape recovery.

But then again, I've been wrong before.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:37 PM

I just reread your post and see you're original setup is with feathers. Could there be a clearance problem with your rest with the blazers? I shoot a WB on mine. Did you try doing a paper tune test? I wouldn't think it would change but might be worth checking.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read your post last night so I went down stairs to do some experimenting with my blazers and 4"feathers on identicle arrows. I even tried two rests , my WB and my MZE and I'm truely confused as to what your problem may be.[&:] All of my shots with both arrows and both rests were in the same group.
I will try my NAP quicktune today and purposely try to create fletching contact and I'll get back to you with the results.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:32 PM

I'm thinking rest clearance may be my problem...I'm gonna check it tomorrow when I get a chance.

By the way, I'm shooting a quiktune 2000.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt fletching contact would do it. Going from feathers to Blazers on a conventional rest is one heck of a switch. From much give to NO give. I can see where you might have a noticable drop.
I like using lipstick on the vanes to detect clearence issues myself. I could never get the foot spray to tell me what was going on like I can the lipstick.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:21 AM

DaveC

Thanks for the lipstick idea. My wife might get a little nervious when she finds a tube in my archery supplies. It's supprising how many cosmetics are used in archery.