Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Need some tech help please. >

Need some tech help please.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need some tech help please.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need some tech help please.

Looking at the pic of the Alpine Denali on the other thread and looking at the one I got in yesterday, the cables cross above the guard with the cable slide flipped around from the normal one cam configuration (long slot toward the bow rather than the shooter). When set up this way there is a lot of contact between the bus cable and string at rest and during the draw. When I flipped the cable guard around and have the strings crossing below the cable guard (like all other single cam set ups I've seen), there is no contact between the strings and less of an agle to the strings coming off the idler. Looking at the cam design, there is nothing I can see to justify having the strings cross above the cable guard. It is just your conventional M- style solo cam.

Any ideas why Alpine has them set up this way, or do you think it is just an oversight?
Old 02-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need some tech help please.

I would guess it is just an over sight as you said. My 04 Patriot SC came in with the cables crossing above the guard last year.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 AM

On some bows it makes little difference where they cross, on others it does. Most bowtech bows have them cross below, even though at the brace position if you remove the slide, they want to cross above. The reason they cross them below is because the draw cycle affect where they want to naturally be. On Max-cam bows (Mathews) and similar 1-cams, they typically cross above. On Mathews straightline style cams, they typically cross below.

The cable should be in the longer groove and the string in the shorter groove regardless of where they cross.

As a check you can take the guard off and see where they want to cross, then draw the bow without the slide and see if the location of the cross dramatically changes and make a determination where the cross should be forced to be when you install the slide.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guy. I talked to a guy at Alpine a little while ago and he said their older singles used to cross above, and that these just got assembled incorrectly based on the older cam. I'm interested to see how that extra friction affected the speed. I'll chrony again tonight when I get home.