Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Advice Regarding Helical & Degrees >

Advice Regarding Helical & Degrees

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Advice Regarding Helical & Degrees

Old 01-29-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Advice Regarding Helical & Degrees

I Am Going To Start Building My Own Arrows. Though I Have Done A Little Research, I Wanted To Get Some Advice From Experienced Shooters.

Since I Am Shooting A Drop Zone Rest And Clearance Is Not Much Of A Problem, How Much Helical Degree Can I Get Away With? I Have Heard 2 -4 Degrees On A Shoot Thru Rest And As Much As 6-7 degrees On A Shoot Around Rest. With A Drop Zone Can I Go As Much As I Like Or As Much As The Shaft Diameter Will Allow? The Jig I Am Looking At Will Go As High As 11 Degrees. I Have Heard The More The Better, Is That Correct? Thanks Again, Ron

PS: I Currently Using 4" Feathers On Beman ICS 400 Hunter Shafts.
The Are Right Helical But Not Sure On Degrees. They Have Been Shooting Good So I Will Probably Keep Same Setup.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:33 AM

Default RE: Advice Regarding Helical & Degrees

it's up to you. the more helical the faster the arrow will stabilize, but the more drag you will induce. how far do you want to shoot? i've found no difference in feathers vs blazer vanes out to about 45 yds, both helical, but after that the poi on the feathers starts dropping compared to the blazers. feathers are also noticably louder. i'm not sure how many degrees i use, but i usually do as much helical as i can with the shafts i use. you'll find that using skinny carbon arrows, at a certain point, probably before 11 degrees, you won't be able to get the feather to seat properly on the arrow. if you're going to be doing it yourself do some testing.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Advice Regarding Helical & Degrees

I ise four inch feathers also and use as much helical as the shaft will allow me to apply. The arrow stabilizes much faster with more helical and yes it does create more drag and slows the arrow a tad bit faster but unless you are shooting past 60 or 70 yards you will never notice it.