Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone else seeing alot of......... >

Anyone else seeing alot of.........

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone else seeing alot of.........

Old 08-28-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Anyone else seeing alot of.........

I have been scouting and glassing alot, and have noticed a HUGE increase in the number of fawns with spots this late in the season. I saw 11 differant fawns at 3 differant locations all with bright little white spots and none bigger than my coonhound. What is the deal with the increase in so many young deer this year? I have always seen one or two and thought they were just really late bred, but this is no coinsedence there are a ton of deer I fear won't make it through winter. Anyone else seeing this or have an opinion?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone else seeing alot of.........

I have seen considerably more this year as well. We were unseasonably warm through the usual rut last year, there may have been decreased breeding, more during the second cycle. that's my only hypothesis on it really.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have been seeing alot all summer. Lots of twins too.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM

I completely understand the second breeding thing, but in order for these fawns to be as young as they appear this time of year there must have been a 3rd breeding in like June HAHA.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Matt...Most of our does that I observed last year had 2 fawns...These were old enough to be bred in January and February...I think that's why we are seeing more with spotsthis year, because of the large fawn drop last year...
Old 08-28-2008, 12:11 PM

Hawkeye, what part of Carolina are you hunting? I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the overall size of our deers in the last few years. They seem to be having alot of twins.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:14 PM

I've noticed the same thing. I haven't been out scouting for the past week. But everytime I've been out rollerblading I've seen fawns on the opposite river bank with spots. Also seen quite a few while driving in the past week.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a couple of very young ones lately, but most in this area are losing their spots now. I think the very mild weather latelast year is a major factor.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Every fawn I've seen the last 2 weeks has spots loaded on It yet. They seem to be very small as well. Allot of late breeding In December and January I'm thinking when they came into estrus again the second time.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:21 PM

I saw two last night that looked as if they were born last week. They were barely taller than mom underline and had spots bright enough to see with the naked eye from 100 yrds.

Quick Reply: Anyone else seeing alot of.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.