Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Right handed and Left Eye Dominant >

Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

Old 01-11-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

I am left eye dominant but right handed. I prefer to shoot right handed. Does anyone have any tips for staying setup right handed but shooting with left eye? Can sites be extended out further to the left maybe? I'd rather not buy a left handed bow.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

shoot right handed with your left eye closed
Old 01-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, it's easy to shoot crossdominant with sights. Just close your left eye like bps said or wear shooting glasses with a piece of tape over the left lens. Or you can get an eye patch and be a pirate.[8D]
Old 01-11-2005, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
Or you can get an eye patch and be a pirate.[8D]
I second this idea.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Same problem that I had. I shot for 50 years right-handed. When my right eye got so bad that I had to close my left eye, I decided to change to left-handed. Best move I could have made.

I now shoot much more comfortably and can shoot both ways to open up twice the hunting opportunities.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Spike

I agree with Len. It took me a few years but I finally switched to lefty and love it. It took me a couple months to get used to handling everything lefty but it was the best thing I ever did. It is the only thing I do lefty. I waited until I needed a new bow and then made the switch.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is it hard to learn to shoot bow left handed?? I draw about 80# - will I be able to do the same from the left after a little training??

I guess having the knowledge and understanding of the mechanics would make re-learning from the left pretty easy.

I was gonna go to a laser sight, but they're illegal here. Anybody ever tried one??
Old 01-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

After 50 years of shooting right handed, I recently had to switch to lefty because of a bad shoulder. I'm doing traditional rather than compound, though. It feels odd at first, but after a couple of weeks it begins feeling a little more natural. I wouldn't call it 'hard' at all. As you said, knowing the mechanics simplifies matters.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:44 PM

When I went to shooting left-handed, I dropped to a 50# bow and built up my left-handed strength from there. I can now shoot over 100# with either arm and equally well with either arm.

The hardest part was not the poundage or accuracy. It was learning how to load the arrow without feeling like I had 5 thumbs on my left hand. Now it is second nature either way.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:49 PM

For those who would question pulling 100# bows and don't know me, I'd better explain. I own a PRO Shop and have to tune bows for a living. If someone is going to Africa and needs a 100# bow tuned, I can do it - left or right-handed.

Do I shoot 100# bows? NO WAY. You don't need anywhere near that much poundage for whitetail deer - which my primary game animal.

Quick Reply: Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.