Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Right handed and Left Eye Dominant >

Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

Old 01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

I was all thumbs too!! The first day loading an arrow was a challenge. In fact it was probably the hardest part of switching to left-handed.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

I am right handed and left eye dominant too but could not get comfortable shooting left handed. I'm new to bow hunting so figured that if I really got hooked on this great sport than I would consider going through the hassle of learning to shoot left handed.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm the same way ....I just close my left eye , easy as that
Old 01-15-2005, 10:18 AM

I also am right handed and left eye dominent and I shot left handed and just went back to good old right handed way more comforatable and don't have to worry about form so much or fumbling with an arrow as far as accuracy it wasn't any better haveing both eyes open didn't make me a better shot so I figure why not go with comfort. I keep both eyes open until the shot anyways then right after I release I open my left eye up again works for me.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:23 PM

way more comforatable and don't have to worry about form so much
Don't have to worry about form??? No wonder you couldn't shoot very well left-handed. Good form is critical, no matter which way you shoot. In fact, having good form and a correct set-up will help tremendously when switching over.

I keep both eyes open until the shot anyways then right after I release I open my left eye up again works for me.
I'm sure this is a mistake as well.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:38 PM

wow we have a virtual shooting instructor here giving opinions
Old 01-15-2005, 12:52 PM

[quote No wonder you couldn't shoot very well left-handed. Good form is critical, no matter which way you shoot. In fact, having good form and a correct set-up will help tremendously when switching over. quote]

When exactly did I say I couldn't shoot very well left handed First of len in maryland have you seen me shoot no you haven't so don't comment on my way of shooting. second when I said I didn't have to worry about form when I shoot righthanded is I don't have to think about my form it just happens naturally but when I shoot left handed I have to think more about keeping my form consistant. second of all When I draw on an animal or a target I keep both eyes open then close to aim and after the release is completed I open them again and I have no prblem touching arrows at 20yrds left or right handed. like who are you to comment on anyones shooting and when you have never seen me shoot.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:56 PM

I think shooting what is most comfortable to you is the best way to go
Old 01-15-2005, 12:56 PM

I was sure I read some where that you can train your non dominent eye to become your dominent eye I will try to find the link.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:02 PM

wow we have a virtual shooting instructor here giving opinions
FYI, I am a certified shooting instructor, ATA qualified teacher, and hold various other credentials. That being said, I find it alarming when someone makes incorrect statements for all to read.

You made the mistakes, I didn't. I just pointed out your mistakes, which have been corrected/clarified by you in subsequent posts. There are a LOT of young archers that carefully read posts like these. As an instructor/teacher, I feel it a duty to advise them when posts lead them in the wrong direction.

Also, I don't "have to see you shoot" to understand published errors. And, comfort is not the end but the result in learning good form. I have a lot of archers who come into my shop who are very comfortable with their form because they have 'adjusted' to bad form. It's an instructor's duty to offer assistance while keeping the comfort level in a 'safe' zone during the training process. It is wrong to try to change someone's totally bad form overnight. Sometimes it takes years to correct bad form while maintaining a "comfort" level. The reason I mention this is to clarify another post you made:
I think shooting what is most comfortable to you is the best way to go
This is another misleading statement because many new archers don't have a clue as to what is comfortable and will make them shoot better. They most often incorrectly adjust.

There is a feature at the bottom of the 'Reply' form that allows you to 'Preview' your post before you send it. I use it quite often to try to make sure that my posts 'read' well.

Quick Reply: Right handed and Left Eye Dominant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.