Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Grips and Hand Torque??? >

Grips and Hand Torque???

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Grips and Hand Torque???

Old 03-06-2002, 10:22 AM

Default Grips and Hand Torque???

Two years ago I bought a Mathews Q2. I've shot it okay but never up to what I believe my capabilities are. I just assumed it was me. I can never seen to get comfortable with the grip, especially in hunting situations, gloves on, etc. Yesterday, I was at a pro shop where the owner had set up a Darton and a Reflex in my draw length. I shot six arrows from each bow. I shot the reflex first at a one spot and blew two nocks off. I shot the darton and shot 5 x-rings and shot the nock off with the sixth arrow. Both of these bows set up rock solid in my hands, unlike the Q2. I just don't shoot groups like that with the Q2. Could it be that my accuracy problems are as much a result of the Mathews grip as my shooting abilities? I shot both bows off and on for about 1/2 hour and I must admit my confidence with each one soared

Is this a torque problem or a grip problem or what? Should I try and remove the old Mathews grip? If so, is there an aftermarket grip that is low wrist that could be used. I really like the grips on those two bows. It just seems there is a consistent hand placement on each one every time.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Grips and Hand Torque???

The Q2 is a great bow. All Mathews grips are aproblem in my view, though the new ones are better. Like you, I tried all kinds of thing like marking my hand for consistent placement and couldn't get comfortable.

Shrewd precision is the cure for me. I tried Loesch, but had some of the same problems.

http://www.shrewd-one.com/

Not everyone seems to have these problems. But here is a shooter shooting off the riser with something:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1
Old 03-06-2002, 12:56 PM

Ossage,

Interesting grips. How does this work for hunting? Is it cold?? Did you end up with a low wrist design or standard? I'm really looking for something that gives me a positive consistent hook up every time. I like the technology of the Q2 I'm just struggling to shoot well with it.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:03 PM
Spike

www.bowgrips.com is a great place to get custom bow grips for mathews bows and other makes.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:10 PM

It's metal, so it is going to be cold, but you can wear a glove or put moleskin on it. Glove works nicely since the grip is very low profile there is lots of room for a glove. I got the low for a 3D bow. I wouldn't change it, but I might put the medium on my hunting bow just because it is a little better handful when carrying the bow etc... And I supose I am curious to see if I would like it better.

To shoot the low you need a bent elbow, and the fingers much like the picture I sent of the lady with the Ultra 2. It is a very positive refrence, but it isn't a hook in the sense of grabing on to you. I find the low very nearly zero torque. The low is basicaly the same angle as the riser. To remove your current grip just get a hammer and a block of wood and firmly nock back the grip on both sides. Usualy it comes right off, sometimes it snaps, but it is easily reglued (for resale).

The thing that comes back at the top of the grip holds the bow on your hand during recoil with an open grip (sling still needed, I use a finger sling).
Old 03-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Illini
I bought a Q2 a month ago and thought it was just me. I can never seem to get my hand position comfortable and my groups are nowhere near what I can get from my old Jennings. I know very little about replacement grips, but I think I will start looking at them.

TB
Old 03-07-2002, 12:34 PM

Thanks for posting the Loesch site, its really nice. They have a lot more options than where available when I ordered, and the grips look better. I think in terms of torque I would still go with a Shrewd, but these are some nice options if you need a resin-wood grip.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:15 PM

I actually felt kind of foolish admitting I paid a g'zillion $ for a bow with technology far superior to what I had been shooting only to shoot lesser groups. I haven't shot it well for two years! I'm kind of hard headed so I always thought I would figure it out. Two years later I'm posting on the board about grip torque.

Last night I took the factory grip off and shot off the handle. That hurt. I need some grip tape or something to soften it up. My hand is still tender. I emailed the people at Loesch to see if they recommend one grip over another for the Q2. When I find out I'll post it.

This is the last step for me. If I can't find a grip to reduce the torque I guess I'm moving on to a differnt bow.
Old 03-07-2002, 02:24 PM

Illini,

How did you remove the grips from your Q2? I have an MQ32 that has the big fatty grip on it. I loved it at first but now I am considering a narrower one. The Mathews standard grip sure feels good when you pick up the bow but I am not so sure it is the best for accuracy: torque problems like you mentioned.

The Mouse
Old 03-07-2002, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

Mathews grips have always been a complaint point for customers. Too bad that you pay good money to be dissatisfied with part of your purchase.

Grips are a very personal choice, and what you like may not be what's comfortable for the next guy. It's a roll of the dice for an aftermarket grip as well unless you can inpect/feel one up close before buying.

That's why this board always tells people to shoot everything you can get your hands on when buying a bow for comparisons, from the cheapest to the most expensive of all brands. Do your homework, ask a lot of questions, and make an informed buying choice. So many people buy brandX or brandY just because they seem more popular, instead of buying what feels/draws/shoots best for them.

"Your confidence soared..."- that's half the game right there.

Best of luck in your search for the answer to your dilema!

Edited by - Black Frog on 03/07/2002 15:31:13

Quick Reply: Grips and Hand Torque???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.