Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Looking for coach >

Looking for coach

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Looking for coach

Old 03-05-2002, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Looking for coach

I have finally hit the end of my rope with trying to become a better archer by myself. Do any of you know of a good archery coach or someone who knows what they are doing that could help me out? I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Thank you!!
Old 03-05-2002, 10:50 AM

Default RE: Looking for coach

That should be a good area to look for a coach.

Depending on your level of development, I would recomend buying every Robin Hood video made that comes close to your subject. Depending on the level of coaching you wanted, this could be much cheapper, and might help you get more good habits out of your own efforts, before moving on to a coach. I have to say I almost learned more from the Olympic guys than I did from the 3D, not because they were any better, but because they have a different view on things. There are a few new ones I haven't seen, and there are a bunch of older ones that are a little dated. I like Ulmer on form, Wise and Ulmer on releases, but there are at least a dozen good ones.

Next, how about a shooter's school, the PSE one travels the US doing two day shows, they can really pinpoint what your flaw is for you. Or you can go to them in Arizona. You absolutely don't have to shoot PSE, though these folk are so nice, you kind of wish you did.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:53 AM

I should say that PSE did diagnose the one thing that was holding me back, and it was something I could work on without a coach, not to say a coach wouldn't be a treat.
Old 03-05-2002, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you Ossage for the down to earth advice. I don't have a money tree in my back yard so the videos sound much better. Unfortunately PSE cancelled the school that was supposed to be held here this last summer. I really love archery, but it is extremely frustrating to not see improvement after months of practice.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:29 PM

This is a technical forum, and there are a lot of equipment issues that can help, but aside from being overbowed most of them are at the margins.

A really important rule is to have a goal for every practice session. Are you out enjoying the day, are you tuning, are you shooting for score, are you working on your release. Then don't get distracted, work on that. It is pretty easy just to be out there doing stuff kind of following the next impulse, rather than practising.

Check your local archery and gun shops they may have some of these videos. I like the RHs best, But the new PSE holding steady isn't bad either.

Are you logging every arrow?

Look at bob ragsdale's rules below, they aren't all about accuracy, but they at least give some direction.

I think the third rule about letting down is really key. The only way to not make bad shots when they are still in your system, is to not make them, let down before you will loose an arrow that isn't perfect.

Bob's rules:

No other single thing can make a bow more cooperative than to equip it with the most compatible arrow spine you can possibly achieve.

Always work with the attitude that "there is no such thing as 'close enough' and each shot is either a hit or a miss and there is nothing in-between."

Routinely, I suggest you DO NOT SHOOT the first practice arrow of any day in favor of thinking the shot completely through while holding and aiming extensively and then letting down and returning the arrow to your quiver.

Understand that no bow is capable of doing anything for you beyond determining the velocity of your projectile. Comprehend that the archer is in absolute control and totally responsible for attending to every detail pertinent to achieving perfect accuracy.

Numbering every arrow to keep track of which ones do not group with the others may serve to both increase and maintain your level of accuracy. Using untested arrows is extremely unwise.

The most convenient way to improve unacceptable bow-to-arrow spine compatibility is to adjust each toward the other by altering either the arrows point weight or shaft length, the bow peak weight, or both.

If your broadheads are not so sharp that you are afraid of them I submit that you surely should not be using them for hunting.
You may avoid blaming your equipment unnecessarily by carrying your bows critical measurements with you and checking them before every shooting session and at any time you suspect something may no longer be as it previously was.

Specifically because the perpetual cop-out excuse of; "I misjudged the distance to the target" is most often not the actual reason for each vertical "miss," also believing that a faster arrow with a slightly lower trajectory path will magically eliminate all high and low misses, let me assure you there is much more to be gained from simply being more well prepared for all distances and by making no other mistakes even when you do misjudge the distance to the target.

Before any shot, declare whether you are practicing or whether you are just setting up your bow, since attempting both at the same time can be detrimental to the success of the other.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:38 PM

BY the way, if you preffer books, the Robin Hood guy has just written one which might be a cheapper way to get stuff to work on than the tapes. When you were done with the book you might know better which areas to get tapes on. He can be contacted at [email protected].

Also Kirk Etheridge has a good basic form book in Profesional Archery Technique. There is a lot of other stuff in there like how to cheat distance that I will pass on but the explanation of key stuff like hand position is excellent. I think Amazon has this one.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:35 AM

The book ossage talks about is Idiot proof Archery by Bernie Pellerite. I have bought the book and love it. It has helped alot and would recomend it to anyone.

Good Luck
Rich
Old 03-06-2002, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Lady Arwen: Have you looked into any archery clubs in your area? I have been able to get alot of help from the good people at my local archery club. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-06-2002, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have had the presence of mind to actually practice one thing at a time very rarely. Maybe that is a lot of my problem. I am usually trying to put the whole thing together at once. I have shots that feel right and fly right, but can't seem to figure out what the "rightness" is exactly enough to duplicate it every time. I will check into the books and videos hopefully this weekend.

Believe it or not we only have two archery shops in this town and one has a very limited shooting range. Sad to say they are not consistent with their advice so I am hesitant to rely on them too much. I have turned to this message board for advice several times and so far nobody has steered me wrong.
Old 03-06-2002, 10:20 AM

I think the inconsistencey thing is a big problem. Golf is really bad that way. While the fundamentals are simmilar you can read something in a magazine that would not help you at all given the fact that you read something the week before that only applies to a totaly different style. In both archery and golf I went the self taught route because getting to the level of coach who would understand all that stuff and really work with me in mind, unless you just get lucky, would be prohibitively expensive. Also figuring it out for yourself can be a large part of the fun.

In golf there is the David Leadbetter empire, for a while there if you stuck to his books, videos, gizmos, and all the stuff his major students like Nick Faldo were pumping out, it pretty much fit together.

In archery we don't have that. Maybe the clossest is Randy Ulmer. He has good videos, and writes for a bunch of different magazines and stuff. He is very athletic in build, and stuff like his set-up won't work for me. But after a while you figure out what stuff you can use and what stuff you can't. That is why the FITA stuff is so good. If you have to pick and choose on your own, you might as well learn fom some of the best recurve shooters also, that's where you will find some of the real nuggets.

Quick Reply: Looking for coach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.