Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech Justice string twang noise >

Bowtech Justice string twang noise

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Justice string twang noise

Old 10-20-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Bowtech Justice string twang noise

This is my first compound bow and I'm pretty satisfied with it, except for a string twang noise that I didn't notice when I first got the bow and was sighting it in at the store.

I don't know if this is normal or am I expecting it to be quieter than is possible.

I've got it set for a 28" draw at 70#, with limb bolts screwed all the way in.

I'm using 28" Gold Tip Expedition Hunter arrows, which are 8 grains per inch, with 100 grain tip.

Could these arrows be too light?
Old 10-20-2004, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Bowtech Justice string twang noise

One thing to check is the module screws. They are the two screws that bolt the draw length module to the bottom cam. They are notorious for coming loose on the Bowtech freedom cam models. I used blue loctite to keep mine from coming loose on the advice of others on this board. If they are loose they do cause a lot of noise.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Check your cam rotation to see if the marks on the cam are in the correct position on each side of the limb. Also, the factory string silencers work pretty well but if any of the "fingers" have been torn off, they will loose some efficency and will allow more noise at the shot.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:46 AM

the arrows are borderline, you are probably right around 5 grains per pound. I was using 26" GTs with 125 heads and ended up switching to 6075 CE term hnters with my Justice (same specs 70# 28" draw)

Since switching arrows and going to catwhiskers on the string i have had a couple folks comment on how quiet my bow is. I use the standard Bowtech silencers on the limbs and cable, cat whiskers on the string and a LORE stabilizer
Old 10-21-2004, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is my first compound bow and I'm pretty satisfied with it, except for a string twang noise that I didn't notice when I first got the bow and was sighting it in at the store.
Sounds to me like string/cable creep. The rigging is looser then it should be which allows the string to vibrate more than it did when it was new. Nothing to worry about, because it's normal. ALL new strings and cables will elongate with use and need adjustment after a couple hundred shots. Just take the bow in, have them put it in the press and twist the string/cables back to their service lengths.

Any left over twang can be eliminated with string silencers.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. I don't think I've shot it enough to be string creep and I've gone over all the screws. I think I'll try a heavier arrow and/or broadhead and see what that does. But, let me ask this, is it normal to hear some string twang?
Old 10-23-2004, 12:18 AM

Well, not like a cheap guitar buy you will hear something on every bow. You can slide the string silencers to different locations to see if it will help.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:59 AM

The Gold Tip Expedition Hunter is available in three spines. Which spine are you using? The 5575's at 8.2 grains per inch are definitely too weak for your set-up, but the 7595's at 8.9 gpi look just about right with a 28" arrow length. If your arrow is longer, it also will be a little weak.

The noise that I get from my Justice is a dull thump sound, definitely not a twang. The string & limb silencers seem to be doing their job.

Does your bow have the factory silencers on the string, the limbs and the cable guard? Where are they located? The limb silencers should be as far out as possible without interfering with anything. You might try adjusting these one at a time to see if you get any improvement.

Hope this helps,
Allen