Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

drawlength

Old 10-15-2004, 10:31 AM

Default drawlength

i know this is an impossible question to answer because everyone is built different...but i was just wondering what other guys that are approx. 5'-10" drawlenth is. i have my current bow set at 27 1/2" and it feels o.k., but i am concerned that it may be a little too short and could be causing some form and accuracy issues. i anchor the barrel of my release about middle of jaw, kisser button at corner of mouth, and string right at tip of nose, and i use a peep. i notice that the realease seems to come further back (to ear almost) on most release shooters.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:06 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default RE: drawlength

Part of the answer depands on the release you're using. I have to adjust the bow up to an inch depending on my release. I'd strongly advise getting an expert to observe you. Sure has worked for me.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.huntersfriend.com/drawlength.htm
Old 10-18-2004, 02:51 AM

Just for a frame of reference, I'm 5'11" and my draw length is 29 inches.

I found that at 28.5", it just seemed a little short with my new release. Also, my new release (Scott Little Goose), the barrel of the release is adjustable in length. While it isn't a sure cure, it can give you an idea of where your hand would be if you lengthened or shortened your draw by a small margin. (In actuality, you really want to use this adjustment for positioning the trigger, but it seems to work for both )
Old 10-19-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your drawlength feels good where it is then I'd leave it alone at this point. Play with it after hunting season. You'll have almost a year to do so. It sounds as though you anchor a bit higher than most people, but if it feels OK then go with it. Don't be concerned with how far back other people draw their bows. Fully 80% of shooters draw two inches too long anyway, and never achive their full accuracy potential for it. And then there is always the issue of hitting the bowarm with the string. Again, often times too long a draw and/or wrong hand position in the grip. I'd think that at 5'10" you'd be better right at 28", but if you have to err do it on the short side.