Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Cabelas Outfitter 1.5 cam bow >

Cabelas Outfitter 1.5 cam bow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cabelas Outfitter 1.5 cam bow

Old 10-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabelas Outfitter 1.5 cam bow

Anyone shot one of these?

Curious what you thought of it. It uses the Darton CPS cams, and one of the nocks on Darton (deservedly or not, I have not idea) is that they are louder than many and jumpier in the hand. I'm wondering if this is a function of the cam or their riser/limb design combos.

The outfitter has the more current long reflex riser with parallel limb design to reduce noise and recoil, so I was wondering if this tamed the CPS cams or not...
Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Outfitter 1.5 cam bow

I did not shoot one, but held and drew one at the local Cabelas store. They are very light and seemed to balance pretty well (bare bow). The cam(s) are actually more like the Hoyt Cam.5 than the Darton CPS. IMO, they draw smoother than the Hoyt, with more weight up front in the draw, and less late draw peak weight. They have a decent valley as well.

As far as the Darton comments, I have owned earlier Mavericks and a Mountain, and they were louder and had more recoil than I cared for, especially compared to other bows I have shot (Mathews, Bowtech, McPherson, etc.) My new Darton Tundra is very different. It quieted down nicely with Limb Savers and catwhiskers. It is a very quiet bow with excellent shooting qualities, it tuned very easily, and shoots as well as any bow I have owned. I am really not interested in ANY of the 2005 bows after shooting the Tundra.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

For some reason and I can't remember where, but I was led to believe it used CPS cams.

Oh well, thanks for your comments. Does the Tundra give you that just sits there in your hand after release with no recoil/vibration that the outback (personal experience) and bowtechs (heard it here) do?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:00 PM

One of the Cabelas bows was tested in the Outdoor life deal. I don't think it did well compared to the top few bows. I will check and see if I still have that issue.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range:

I would not say that my Tundra vibrates, if it does, it is only the tiniest amount. When I first got it , it did, especially before the catwhiskers were on the string. Now with a set of Limb Savers, and catwhiskers, plus a Stealth stabilizer, it is very quiet and vibe free.

The Tundra does have a little bit of recoil, and I emphasize, a little bit. It is very similar to the Pro 40 Wheely, or a Pro 38 or 40 I-cam in terms of recoil. Maybe just a bit more than the MQ1 or McPherson 38 Special (I have not shot an Outback or Liberty).There is a little, but very little, and a little recoil does not bother me. I am more concerned about where the arrow goes than whether I feel a very small amount of recoil or not. I know some guys really like the "just sits there" feel. It is just something I don't get too worried about.

BTW, I did get to shoot the Buckmasters 4000 at Cabelas. That bow has the CPS system on it, some have mentioned that it is the CPS that McPherson uses on the Edge, but I don't really know if that is the case. I do know that the profiles are a little different than the Darton Extreme cam(s). The bow I shot had no stabilizer on it, though it does come with Limb Savers. It was very quiet to shoot, and had very little recoil, even without a stabilizer on it. It did have a little vibration in the grip, but again, that is without a stabilizer. I'm guessing you could make that bow whisper quiet and vibe free with a Stealth, or a Sims Modular Stabilizer. While I was there, I also drew the Browning Mirage 1.5. If the IBO claims are legit, that is one smooth-drawing bow for 310 IBO. Again though, didn't get to shoot it.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, I did get to shoot the Buckmasters 4000 at Cabelas. That bow has the CPS system on it
Ah-HAH, that's the one I was thinking about.

I think I'm starting to get into my imporant brain cells...

Thanks for the info. So the noise/jump issues are more a function of Darton's limb/riser designs than the CPS cam it would seem...
Old 10-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the Buckmaster 4000 3 weeks ago. I'm no expert, but I can tell you it is one sweet bow. Mine was the package deal on special @ the Hamburg, Pa store -$459 w/ sights, rest, and quiver. 70lbs I added a short doinker stabilizer and it's pretty quiet.

Aditionally, the service was great! They set up the bow with a peep and we sighted it in right then and there... from the time I said "I'll take it" to checkout was about an hour.

As far as wether the cams are more Darton or Martin, I think the guy said Bear either licenses or gets the cams from Darton.

UR
Old 10-06-2004, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to agree with your observations RB. It seems to be more of a function of the riser/limb design rather than the cam itself. Both the Outfitter PL 1.5 and Buckmaster 4000 have very low levels of recoil and vibration. I had the opportunity to shoot both this past summer when I was at the Hamburg store as well.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I would tend to agree with your observations RB. It seems to be more of a function of the riser/limb design rather than the cam itself. Both the Outfitter PL 1.5 and Buckmaster 4000 have very low levels of recoil and vibration. I had the opportunity to shoot both this past summer when I was at the Hamburg store as well.
Welcome to the board!

Feel free to stick around and post often, sounds like you have a wealth of info to share which we'll all find beneficial.

One day soon, just to get it out of my system, I'm gonna find a CPS cammed bow to draw, mark my words...
Old 10-06-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Range I'll agree the older express cams were slightly louder than you average single cam , but the new express cams are much quieter , dont like their flemsy drawstop , or the new camo , but they shoot awesome . The cabelas bow has a diferant cam with a stouter drawstop , other than that I cant coment , havent shot one , but cant help but notice it is the same cam as mcpherson , and champion are useing , and a few other companies as well , I think there is a buckmaster bow that uses them , and many pepole are happy with that overall bow , with the risor and limb , along with the hybred cam and its price point , looks to be quiet a deal .

Quick Reply: Cabelas Outfitter 1.5 cam bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.