Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Loud Bow

Old 09-29-2004, 04:33 AM

Default Loud Bow

I Have a Jennings Buckmaster set at 67Lbs, when I bought it was very quite. As my knoledge on bow hunting and bows increased I started to experiment alot more often than I should. Now my bow is extremely noizy, I have tried everything to sort out the problem (Leaches, limb savers, cat whiskers etc.) At the moment all those accessories are on my bow and it still does not quite my bow down. I only walk and stalk so it is very important that I have a quite bow. I am also using a bodoodle arrow rest with 1' offset hellical carbon (Terminator) fletches.
The arrow rest has been damaged before but I have since straighten it all up, or I hope I have.
Do you think that this might me the cause of my problem. Please help, I am desperate!!
Old 09-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Loud Bow

Hi,
Check every screw and bolt on your bow to make sure everything is tight.Maybe try shooting without the quiver and if you could try another rest might be helpful.You want to make sure your limb bolts aren't backed out too far--the tighter the limbs the less vibration and noise.What kind of noise is it?Is your bow timed for optimum performance?
I would check your limbs for any cracks at all and make sure you are using arrows that match your poundage--DON'T SHOOT TOO LIGHT OF ARROW.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Loud Bow

If you're shooting Terminators, your arrows are NOT too light. Terminator Selects are my favorite non-aluminum arrows.

First thing I'd check - because it's easiest and because I go over the screws on my bow once a week anyway - is axle to axle length and brace height. Get the measurements and compare them against the factory specs for your bow. If the a-a length is longer than it should be and/or the brace height is lower than it should be, then you've got creep in the string/cable rigging. They should be twisted up to put the bow back in spec.

When the rigging is too long, the bow isn't under the proper tension. The limb tips travel further forward than they're supposed to. The string will vibrate more than it should. The cable will flap around. Getting them to the proper length will minimize all that vibration and noise.

The arrow rest having been damaged and 'straightened out' kinda raises a red flag too.