Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning help needed: Free Flight, D-Loop, Super-Peep >

Tuning help needed: Free Flight, D-Loop, Super-Peep

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning help needed: Free Flight, D-Loop, Super-Peep

Old 09-22-2004, 08:18 AM

Default Tuning help needed: Free Flight, D-Loop, Super-Peep

I used to use my old Winn Free Flight on my old Hoyt Tenacity. I shot really well with it. I used it right on the bowstring. I clipped it right under a rubber o-ring thingy that was under knock. Over the knock point was a brass (I think) knock. It worked fine. The release was same as the style in the photo below.

Well...tried a Tru-Ball Rackmaster Pro last year and bought it. It was super smooth and super quiet. Made my old Free Flight seem really loud...I use the Rackmaster with a D-loop. The D-Loop has to be kinda sticking out sideways so that my Super-Peep will line up at full draw. The Rackmaster Pro looks like the photo below.

Well...my Rackmaster got stolen and I decided to try my old Free Flight. Man did that feel good strapped on. Missed that old boy! Well...it's really tricky to get it to clip in to the D-loop first of all. And...it's really loud at release. I can hear that string vibrate like hell. I'd really like to go back to a Free Flight...but mine is so loud with that D-loop.

Here is my problem...

If I take the D-loop off, then my Super-Peep will not line up at draw anymore. When the guy set up my bow we twisted the string (method for aligning Super-Peep I was told) to no avail and had to end up mounting the D-loop so that it almost stuck out straight to the left side while holding the bow. As you draw the D-loop twists the string just enough so that the Super-Peep lines up at full draw. I really ain't crazy about that happening but really would like my Superpeep.

Should I just keep the loop and get a different style Free Flight?

or...

Should I scrap the D-loop, and still try a different style of Free Flight? If so...what style is smoothest and quietest?

Now what am I gonna do about the Super Peep???? I HATE regular peeps. Maybe try a No-Peep???

I just don't know...
Old 09-23-2004, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tuning help needed: Free Flight, D-Loop, Super-Peep

I do not know what brand string you have on your bow..... I can recommend a Stone Mountain Dakota Pre Streched String......I had simular string and peep problems before with a another manufacturers string until I switched to the Stone mountain Dakota Strings I have no problems getting the peep to come to the proper rotation every time now, and I have picked up a little speed with their strings also........ As for the Winn Free Flight Glove Release well I am a veteran shooter of them... I love em
To load the Winn Free Flight Release on a D-Loop I will open the release head and place on the D-Loop and push forward slightly on the back of the nock and then a slight bit of pressure pulling back towards me will cause the head mechanism to lock onto the D-Loop.... the make sure that you havent pushed the nock out of place on the string. I have found for myself the C-10 Winn works very well with a D-Loop. it just takes a bit of practice to get used to loading it on the D-Loop but before you know it you can do it with your eyes closed. As for the noise issue, keep in mind you have the release right up near your ear so the sounds are so close and amplified... try letting someone else shoot your release with your bow and stand off to the side and listen.... I did this and found my bow wasnt nearly as loud as I thought it was, I was actually amazed by how quiet my bow and release really were[8D]
Best of luck to ya.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could always ditch the D-loop (I'm assuming you have the metal one) in favor of a TRU Speed Nok. The It has a peep aligner built in to it. Then you can shoot your Winn straight off the string again with an eliminator button like you used to. I have shot a Winn for years but recently switched to a Scott Little Goose and unless Winn builds a better, smoother release head, I'll never go back to it. Now if you could adapt a Scott head on a Winn glove, then I'd be sold.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:40 AM

Thanks guys. I fixed the photos above...

I took my string D-Loop off. I'm going to try a TRU Speed Nok with an "eliminator button". Is an "eliminator button" that little rubber stop thingy that sat just under my nock and just above my release on my old bow?

I know what you're sayin' Mike...if I could only put the Tru-Ball Rackmaster Pro part on the Free Flight glove....OMG would that be sweet. Think I may try making one.

Lady...I know what ya mean about closing the caliper on the knock. I had to do the same thing. It worked...but was LOUD as heck.

On a side note to all of this...I notices that my top string leech was tearing...not where it passes through the string but about halfway out to the tip...the tear was half way through...so I canned them both...never use them again. This bow has less than 100 arrows shot..that's it.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can alter the Winn Release ..... I believe it was Rangeball on this site that mounted a Tru Fire Release Head to his Winn Release and was very pleased with the results......... If you remove the D-Loop you will loose a small amount of draw length.......and the aid of the D-Loop to help to bring your peep to the proper rotation. and I personally prefer a D-Loop to help to combat nock pinch..... I cant understand the loud noise that you are experienceing with your Winn Release because I have never encountered such a problem with my Winn Releases........ I do regularly clean and lubricate my Winn Release head with Tri Flo a Teflon Lubricant to help to keep all moving parts moving smoothly. Now for loud try a T.R.U Ball Chappy Boss release on the string..... that thing acurate but LOUD.... definitly not a release of choice for me for bowhunting[8D]
Old 09-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Correct, I am shooting a Tru-Fire Bear Paw release on a Winn glove, straight off the string with a TRU Speed nock, no eliminator button, and loving every minute of it.

I'm getting a few poor man's robin hoods a day at 25 yards... since I've finally set my NP groups are really tight.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:25 PM

looks like I'll have to order a Speed nok...none around here...

How are those ultra noks?
Old 09-24-2004, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Correct, I am shooting a Tru-Fire Bear Paw release on a Winn glove, straight off the string with a TRU Speed nock, no eliminator button, and loving every minute of it.

I'm getting a few poor man's robin hoods a day at 25 yards... since I've finally set my NP groups are really tight.
Tru-Fire Bear Paw
It fit right on the Free Flight glove? I gotta try that!