Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 FOR THE GROWIN' BOYS OUT THAR >

FOR THE GROWIN' BOYS OUT THAR

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

FOR THE GROWIN' BOYS OUT THAR

Old 09-16-2004, 11:22 PM

Default FOR THE GROWIN' BOYS OUT THAR

I kno this is a horrible newb question but i'd like to know. To increase the poundage of a bow (yes i already have it cranked down) do you order new limbs or cables. Any idea what it'll cost on mathews feather-max. I want to move up to 70#
Old 09-17-2004, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FOR THE GROWIN' BOYS OUT THAR

You would have to order new limbs. I'm not sure what it would cost. If you go to a Mathews dealer, you could find out there. I'm pretty sure they require that a certified dealer do the replacement work for the bow to remain under warranty.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know off hand, but I'd say the limbs will probably cost you between $150 and $200 and whatever labor charge the shop has for the required work. Your cable/string/cam will remain the same.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago, I attended a 3D tournament and a Hoyt factory rep. was there. I was shooting a provantage with recurve style limbs at the time. Originally the bow was adjustable between 60 and 80 lbs. I had the bow on the scale and it would not go to 80 lbs fully cranked. I asked the rep. how I could get 80, and he just gave my higher "limb blocks". These act as a fulcrum, and were loacted behind the adjustment bolt. Basically it allowed greater adjustment range and more stress to be put on the limbs. When fully cranked it was at 92 lbs. I shot it at 90 for about a year, no problems.

I have no idea if a similar thig can be done with your bow, but it may be worth looking into.

There is another way to increase draw weight, and that is to intall a longer string. Of course that means a longer draw length. That may or may not work for you.