HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - drop away rests
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 10:13 AM
BOWFANATIC
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: drop away rests

It's only a problem if you want to shoot a tuned bow!

When I first tried the WB I used vanes as suggested and I ended up with the same black scuff marks and wrinkled vanes. I did some experiments with the WB to check it's biscuit (bristles) to see how easy/hard it would be to leave black marks on whatever passed through it. I didn't think CAP would produce a product that would leave it's own color on anything that passed through it and I was correct. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the bristles to leave any marks. Thats when I noticed the tiny spots of black paint that was worn off the biscuits outside ring. I'll bet if you shoot all your arrows with the same nock index the black scuff marks will be on the same vanes.

I've been a big fan of the WB since they hit the market and have often recomended them for a hassle free no nonsense hunting rest but the more I read about other peoples problems with it and the more I've experimented with it myself I think the term "hassle free" should be disassociated with the WB.[&:] Not that I dont think it's a great hunting rest but I believe too many folks think it's one of those "set it and forget it" things which just isn't the case. IME the WB is less forgiving to an underspined arrow than a conventional rest.

This may be a bold statement but I believe that if everyone that was shooting the WB last year (EVERYONE) had the proper spined arrows and had their bows tuned to those arrows there wouldn't be the new B2 biscuit this year. I say that because with the old biscuit and my bow tuned to the proper arrows I never had any type of fletching damage at all.

Can you shoot good groups with your arrow fishtailing through the biscuit and whacking the hell out of your vanes every shot? Sure! It just means your shooting your un-tuned bow with consistancy.
Tune your setup and you'll be doing the same without ruining fletchings!