Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Concept archer 99% letoff! >

Concept archer 99% letoff!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Concept archer 99% letoff!

Old 09-10-2004, 05:51 AM

Default RE: Concept archer 99% letoff!

what's to keep someone from just drawing it when they get into stand and hanging it by the string off a bow hanger ready to go?
???
I can just picture some guy going to grab this bow off his hanger and have it go off as he's trying to get it into position - puts a shiver down my spine.

In this case, I don't think the technology would make things much easier. The current crop of 80% let-off bows already allow guys to draw way too early, in my opinion. The lack of tension in the string, would most likely make the bow difficult to shoot with consistancy. I wouldn't be worried about this bow making things too easy. I know that I wouldn't even consider it, and I doubt a very large percentage would.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

what's to keep someone from just drawing it when they get into stand and hanging it by the string off a bow hanger ready to go?
???
I can just picture some guy going to grab this bow off his hanger and have it go off as he's trying to get it into position - puts a shiver down my spine.

In this case, I don't think the technology would make things much easier. The current crop of 80% let-off bows already allow guys to draw way too early, in my opinion. The lack of tension in the string, would most likely make the bow difficult to shoot with consistancy. I wouldn't be worried about this bow making things too easy. I know that I wouldn't even consider it, and I doubt a very large percentage would.
If you dangle a new toy that's easier to operate they will buy it ,
some folks just won't take to anything that's hard to do .

Another concern I would have would be it's legal staus . My state forbids crossbows during our early archery season because you don't hold them at full draw by hand , a 99% letoff is dangerously close to being a vertical crossbow . If a 100% letoff model came out it wouldn't pass muster in some states for this reason . Personally , I'd like to see all states review what's out there and decide whether or not they pass the smell test . I know that I wouldn't be caught dead with a "gimme" bow like that .
Old 09-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't get into the whole letoff debate...

BUT

The thing that concerns me about these bows is the notched axle. Unless they are titanium or something I personally just couldn't ever be comfy with that situation. If that axle is the slightest bit weakened...whoahhh nellie [:-]

I know Doc has been shooting his for awhile..perhaps he could elaborate....
Old 09-10-2004, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

If 2% of bowhunters buy this bow, and half of them are old timers who want to hunt, I have no problem with it really at all.
That's a false premise. High letoff to maintain a high poundage draw weight for older, ailing shooters does not work. It doesn't work for women or youth either. The shooter still has to drag that string back through the peak draw weight, and these modern cams hold peak weight for AGES before suddenly dumping them into the letoff.

This lie is something the high letoff crowd has invented in order to rationalize their own agenda. That agenda is having a bow they can hold at full draw for a long time. Why? Because they're a bunch of freakin' wimps that can't learn how or when to draw on an animal and keep from getting busted, so they want a bow they can draw when they spot the animal - before the animal can spot them - and keep it drawn until the shot is presented. Crossbow tactics, certainly, so why it so hard to understand why so many people call high letoff bows 'vertical crossbows?'

But, back to the question I want to address. Unfortunately, many people with existing shoulder problems are believing high letoff is the real deal, buying the 'miracle bow' that's going to give them extra years of shooting, then going out and finishing off their shoulders with it. The bow they were hoping would help them actually cut their shooting days shorter. Since there are exceptions to every rule, maybe a few people find the letoff does help them. However, overall, more people are ruining themselves with such equipment.

The ONLY way to make life easier on the joints is to reduce draw weight, pick cams that have a short dwell at peak weight, and have a steady, easy drop into the letoff. Yes, that kind of cam is going to cut arrow speed dramatically, but it's better to shoot slow arrows than to hasten the day where you'll not be able to shoot arrows at all.

IMO, this Concept99 bow is mainly for parting fools from their money. But, that's what most of the other products on today's market are geared for anyway. [:'(]
Old 09-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Why not shoot a crossbow....when is enough, ENOUGH!?
Exactly!!!

I'll put my 2 cents in.......why don't we just lump bow and all firearm seasons together if technology, manufacturers, and lazy people want it? Wanna know why any company keeps making things easier with high letoff bows? Its the money of course. Company A says," I'll make a 99% letoff bow........bowhunters will jump at that."

Sometimes ethics is a good thing.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 AM

Not that new a concept (pun intended) here guys. The Oneida shooters that are prevalent in my neck of the woods have been able to do this for years. I've seen some of the skilled Oneida guys hang they're bows by the string, straight down.

Also the Concept stuff is ADJUSTABLE up to 99% and can be set for 80% as well.

Let's not be silly though....no one is going to draw a bow and hang it on a tree and wait for a deer to walk by.

Letoff for me, personally doesn't matter much. I pull the ever livin' hell outta the string anyway 99 or 50...dopn't matter I PULL! LOL!
Old 09-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's not be silly though....no one is going to draw a bow and hang it on a tree and wait for a deer to walk by.
Kelly.

Sorry mate but I have to dissagree with you on that statement

You know as well as I do that there are some real idiots out in the woods come deer season
Old 09-10-2004, 10:02 AM

I don't mind the argument Russ....but I've seen these and they just don't work that way. Any jackass that draws the bow and hangs it won't be able to pick it up off the hangar without it firing.

They do stall out at full draw but all the ones I've seen...stiff wind or a little bump and they go flying.

I agree some isiots may try it....I say LET 'EM! They'll likely ruin the bow and get smacked upside the head with a limb or 2
Old 09-10-2004, 10:13 AM

On a different message board I read about the incident that Matt/PA told about.

It was said that it happened at one of the ASA's (I think Oakridge, TN) and the President/CEO of the company was the one that was letting the bow dangle (to prove its high let off) when it caught a breeze or something and it came up and slammed the cable rod thorugh his hand. OUCH!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:20 AM

I am sure this same debate came up when the bows went to 80%. I really could care less what the let off is. Think about it, if it helps you be more accurate and a better hunter then why not. If you are dumb ehough to hang it by your finger or a tree limb, then that proves survival of the fitest.

I say we come up with a 150% let off! You have to push it to make it fire

Quick Reply: Concept archer 99% letoff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.