Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Concept archer 99% letoff! >

Concept archer 99% letoff!

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Concept archer 99% letoff!

Old 09-10-2004, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Concept archer 99% letoff!

One thing I forgot, I do think some amount of weight being held is beneficial to accurately shooting a bow. I have played with bows at differnet draw weight and let off and IME the less weight I held at full draw, the less accurate I was
Old 09-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Think about it, if it helps you be more accurate and a better hunter then why not.
Because rifles and shotguns will help you be a more accurate and 'better' hunter than a bow will. That line will eventually be the death of bowhunting.

Hard work, practice, experience and getting into the woods to do your homework will all make someone a 'more accurate and better hunter' than any equipment you can buy. Period. But that's too much effort and too many dues to pay for most people, isn't it...
Old 09-10-2004, 03:52 PM

I like high let off bows. I don't care if I hunt with it or not. I didn't get a bow to hunt with any way. It just sort of happened after I got it. Not every person that buys a bow is going to go into the woods with it. Some could care less, they just like archery.

I like the way they feel. I have a bow with lower let off and I think it sucks and hate shooting it. If you think I am a whimp, or I'm sure you had a better word for it, I guess I will just have to live with it. Good thing I don't care what you or others think isn't it. And if they made crossbows legal in MI I might buy one just for the heck of it. Hell I might buy one just to piss people off. I'm in it to take deer. I don't go out to see how close I can get to almost taking one. If that's your game, fine, it's not mine. I am using the most effective means possible at my disposal. If they made centerfire rifles legal in my area I would go buy a .243 as soon as I could afford one as well.

You want to impress me, kill one with a rock naked. If you don't like the newer bows, don't shoot them. It's that simple. Just because some one has a little more effecient equipment doesn't mean it's going to ruin the sport though.

I personally don't know if I would like one. I would have to shoot one first I guess.

As far as being able to draw it and hold it, sounds good in theory, but try it once. You still need to hold the bows weight up. It would get pretty heavy pretty fast and you would start to shake and still not be able to make the shot.

Paul
Old 09-10-2004, 05:36 PM

And if they made crossbows legal in MI I might buy one just for the heck of it.
They are legal Paul Gun season and they're fair game. Nice for those "Bow only" properties.

Also legal if you have a disability.

What kind ya gonna get??[8D]
Old 09-10-2004, 05:51 PM

Like I said Kelly, I like to use what I think works best for the season. A crossbow is not my best choice for gun season. I use an inline ML druing gun season. I used to own a crossbow when I was younger though. Didn't hunt with it or anything, just a toy, Barnett 150lb compound. I actually think my new bow shoots better than it did and handles better. I don't see why people are so afriad of them. They are not "that" great.

And if I were to get one, I don't know what I would get. Since I don't have a job right now, probably nothing at all. I would like to get a parker, but I don't see me ever affording the one I want. I saw this cool little 100 pounder on ebay though that I thought about getting for my girlfriend to play with. She has no desire to hunt, just wants to plink with me in my back yard.

Might have to move anyway, so I won't need any of them. I will not have a place to shoot anymore.

Paul
Old 09-10-2004, 08:19 PM

Along with Art's statement that some shooter's are fair-weather "wimps," and I have known some, you also have to factor in that for many "sideliners," bowhunting to them is just to play with toys and brag about their new toys. I doubt many spend much time in the field. For the "gadgeteer," aficionados, the time they might spend hunting is simply a live animal testing ground for their "gadgets."

Said types quickly tire of just punching holes in Styrofoam with gear that cost them mega bucks and also know that to be in the "in crowd" of serious bowhunters, they have to be able to talk the talk beyond shooting at targets and constantly talking about and changing their rig. However, such types cannot hack the demands of real bowhunting, so they want gear that makes everything easy and will almost "autopilot" the hunt for them.

The sad fact, the industry has been catering to these people and that is why the bowhunting market is filled with unnecessary junk that has a higher rate of failure than in the past. Some of the stuff is very cute, though.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in it to take deer.
I remember when only gun hunters said stuff like that.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:59 AM

I've put over 50,000 shots through mine, and there's no problem with the axle at all. What keeps someone from hanging the bow while it's at full draw? Commen sense man, a small breeze would send that thing shooting up causing possible injury.

It's hard to explain...it's not like you are only holding .3 lbs at full draw...If feels like a normal 80% letoff...it's just that the notched axle allows just a hair more cam rollover...the string isn't limp, there's lots of tension on it, and the bow is very accurate and shoot greats. Letting the bow down is no problem at all. The first time is kinda scary...just like all firsts, but after that you'll find it lets down just like any other bow.

I shoot a backtension release, so I reef back on any bow I own...and this bow is no different. Won the 2004 Michigan IBO state championship with it this year...and showed it off a little bit to the Oneida boys in Marion at a 3d shoot there as well.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:29 AM

Don't try and make me look bad because I am honest about what I do. I don't try to make excuses to myself or make it look like I am doing something other than what I am doing. Don't tell me when you hunt your not there to take game. If that were the case why take a weapon at all.

I didn't say I don't enjoy what I'm doing. If I didn't enjoy it why would I bother. But I'm not going to put this much effort into something and make it harder to succeed. The state issues tags because they want the deer taken. Why buy the tags if you don't intend on actually taking the game?

And I am getting freakin' sick to death of this elitist attitude some bowhunters have. Like no one is as good as they are and if you do anything other than what they do you are a lazy piece of crap slob hunter. Get off it for a while already. A hunter is a hunter, no matter what weapon they choose to use. And a slob hunter is a slob no matter what they use, be it a bow, crossbow, or 30-06. Don't just say that anyone that doesn't bow hunt or only bow hunts is a lazy person that shouldn't be in the woods. That's pretty offensive. Maybe some people like to hunt smarter, not harder.

Sometimes it sounds like if I don't use a recurve with woden arrows I should be ashamed of myself and feel like I am poaching deer or something. Sorry, I don't.

Oh, and the little snyde comment about you remembered when only gun hunters said stuff like that. Well, I do gun hunt, so you were partially right.[:'(]

And It's not like I am out slaughtering the deer heard either. I take one deer a year usually. If I don't get one in bow season, I take it in gun season.

Paul
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Think about it, if it helps you be more accurate and a better hunter then why not.
Because rifles and shotguns will help you be a more accurate and 'better' hunter than a bow will. That line will eventually be the death of bowhunting.

Hard work, practice, experience and getting into the woods to do your homework will all make someone a 'more accurate and better hunter' than any equipment you can buy. Period. But that's too much effort and too many dues to pay for most people, isn't it...

Hm, Maybe we all should go back to stick bows then.

Quick Reply: Concept archer 99% letoff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.