Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Drop-away rest experts >

Drop-away rest experts

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop-away rest experts

Old 09-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default Drop-away rest experts

Just set up a Schaefer(sp?) rest and wondering when should the prongs actually be picked up when drawing back. Is there an actual "proper" measurement? The rest seems pretty nice, very solid, anchored to the riser, and very, very quiet.

Is there and optimum setting?

Someone told me to set it right at the point of the "wall", or roughly around 6-7" from full draw....basically just before the cam starts to roll over.

Any thoughts? Did I mention how quiet the rest is....wow!! I guess that and the lack of prong wear is why I'm trying one.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2004, 12:19 AM

Default RE: Drop-away rest experts

Is there and optimum setting
GKF says their rest, when brought up the last 1 or 2” will drop 8 to 12” into the power stroke.

The best may be the last one inch, that would let it drop 8” into the power stroke while acceleration pressure is still on the bow string. While the acceleration pressure is still on the string the bow will be pressing tight on the bow hand. The pressure on the string may go from the let-off pressure of about 15 lbs, to possible ± 70 lbs. before it starts to decelerate.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Drop-away rest experts

Thanks for the reply!

Last night I shot through paper and 40-60 yards while playing with the string length and found no noticable paper tear change or point of impact staying within a pretty wide range. I'm sure there are the "extremes", but I must have stayed well away from them with still quite a wide area of pick-up. Made me feel pretty good because I was wondering what would happen if the string weakend, slipped, etc. Looks like a pretty wide margin of error...which is good.