Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I need the experts. >

I need the experts.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I need the experts.

Old 09-06-2004, 07:46 PM

Default I need the experts.

I have a new bow this year, a Hoyt UltraSport, I've been shooting archery for 20 years and every year except for last, it has been a strugle to get broadheads to shoot correctly. Last year I had an MT Sport and loved it but had to make a change for this year, I wish I hadn't.

I shoot 70lbs, 28.5" PSE Dominator 300, 4" vanes with the most helical I can get, a drop away rest, release, and always follow the Easton Tuning Guide.

Paper tuning this new bow, I can't get rid of an 1 1/4" tear to the right, this is an odd tear, being right handed and I have tried everything to get rid of it, I have lowered my draw weight, I have increased and lowered my tip weight. I have also tried an aluminum arrow, same thing. I've tried moving my rest to the left, I have made sure that everything has clearance and I'm at a loss for options and have a trip to CO, soon. I have tried for a month to correct this myself, but have finally given into asking for help.

P.S. It's been a while since I have done alot of reading within the post, how are people feeling about using expandables on elk? I have always been able to use Muzzy 100's, but may have to look elswhere.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I need the experts.

300's may be overspined for your setup. If you have any 200 spine arrows try them to see if they will tune.

Or a 400 spine from a different brand.

Edited.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

If any thing the 300 will be underspined and would also explain the eratic tear.

I would go with something stiffer.
and remember that the easton tuning guide is NOT the holy grail of bow tuning and arrow selection, think of it as a start and I have foundthat what ever the tuning guide tells you as far as arrow selection to go up to a stiffer arrow than what it says to use.

I dont use expandables so I will not comment on them.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Take it to a reputable Hoyt Factory-Authorized Pro Shop/technician for assistance, someone you trust. It could be something as simple as an arrow spine issue or even a rest movement issue, but it could also be something in cam centershot/incorrect shimming, etc. Best to have a tech look at it especially if you have a trip coming up soon. This way you can be sure everything is as it supposed to be when you head out. If you cannot find it in a month's time, iMHO it's time to take it to someone who can better assist you while being able to actually look at it in hand. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12