HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   mighty mite limb is cracked (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/71595-mighty-mite-limb-cracked.html)

oniedaeagle 09-06-2004 03:58 PM

mighty mite limb is cracked

well i just bought another mighty mite and was just jackin the poundage down on it and notice on the bottom limb there is a crack from the poundage bolt right to the v in the limb.. i will be posting picture later.. what is wrong there are alot of limbs cracking on bowtec and im shooting a 467 grain arrow..

buckeye 09-06-2004 04:02 PM

RE: f*&$*n limb is cracked

Are you sure it is a crack in the limb not a flaw in the finish?

That would be like a 6 or 7 inch crack from the limb bolt all the way to the cam cut outs.

oniedaeagle 09-06-2004 04:07 PM

iam 100 % sure i have had bows with flaws in the finish but you can take youre finger nail across it and fell it..

oniedaeagle 09-06-2004 04:10 PM

the crack is 5 15/16 inch long

Matt / PA 09-06-2004 04:45 PM

onieda,
Is it an actual CRACK or is it just a raised line in the limbs finish?
Can you send me a picture of it?
It doesn't have to be a finish flaw.......If the film dip overlapped on the limb flat you might be feeling this and not a crack.

And by the way.......do me a favor and edit your thread title. Skirting the profanity filter is still a rule here.;)

mrfritz44 09-06-2004 05:13 PM

Here's my splinter for comparison! [>:][&o]

SORRY FOR THE IMAGE........THIS FREE IMAGE UPLOAD SITE OBVIOUSLY HAS STRINGS ATTACHED!

Matt / PA 09-06-2004 06:37 PM

Mr. Fritz.........yep that's a splinter. You should have seen my Mathews Ultra Max limbs a few years back.......whoa baby.[:-] Picture the entire backside of one limb and half the other looking like that. But that was my fault and a hot bowcase as an accomplice.

I'm seriously suspecting.........and I know people don't want to hear it.;) Unless some bad lot of limbs got out I'm suspecting proper pressing issues.
These bows can be damaged in the limbs AND the riser by improper pressing and stresses.

I simply cannot see design or normal durability as a cause.
For example, take "BowTech Shooter"'s full line of demo bows that he totes around to different shops.....I've been with Pat at a few of these shows and these bows are absolutely ABUSED day in and day out. Far more than what one human being could do to them. They've been dry fired, (probably all of them multiple times), dropped, kicked, left out in all sorts of whacky weather and probably have thousands of shots on each of them easy. They all continue to just keep on shooting.....
All of my personal bows , friends bows etc I haven't come across one limb problem.
The common denominator in my mind is how we press our bows. I know Pat takes great care in pressing, as do I and my friends........I probably just passed about the 1500-2000 shot mark on my Liberty today.
I know it's presumptious but maybe these limbs are being unknowingly stressed during set-up by the shops that sold them? I know each will say "No Way" they're experienced etc etc. and I understand that.........but we're talking about new geometry here.
It seems like the majority of these are on basically brandy new bows, which could point to initial set-up.
You cannot treat these VFT style bows like a regular softer limb angled bow, you just can't and that's a fact.

Maybe a training video or such, or a warning sticker for the limbs with a quick pre-press checklist on it is in order? I know this stuff will be discussed.

I know BowTech will take care of the problem with each and every case.......I'm just wondering if we even need to be seeing the problems that we are.
Remember a bad batch of limb glass can happen to any of a number of manufacturers, so if that's a contributing factor, improper pressing will only magnify or enhance the problem.

Oneida,
With your Mighty Mite, if you have a 6" crack in the limb can you feel anything at full draw, or did you notice an increase in vibration when shot?

JoshKeller 09-06-2004 06:52 PM

if you have a 6" crack in the limb can you feel anything at full draw, or did you notice an increase in vibration when shot?
Same thing happened in my Liberty. Seemed a little louder to me and vibrated a bit more... inspected it and found a 6" crack going right up the center of the limb.

mrfritz44 09-06-2004 06:59 PM

These bows can be damaged in the limbs AND the riser by improper pressing and stresses.
Bowmasters should be a good presses for these limbs, correct? They seem to pull the limbs in the same fashion the string would and since it's a minor hassle to press beyond the point that the string is limp and workable, I think the bow's been pressed no more than it should be.

Your point is well taken though and I'll be extra careful in the future.

oniedaeagle 09-06-2004 08:16 PM

RE: mighty mite limb is cracked

my bow has never been in a press. the frist day i brought it home i heard a popping sound and a didnt think much of it.. mine also has a 6 inch crack all the way up the middle like joshkeller said... i have shot heavy arrows keep it room temp so it is not my fault... how long does it take for limbs to come in. season for nothern tier opens the 27

oniedaeagle 09-06-2004 08:18 PM

i notice the crack when i was shooting the arrow started to fly wrong and looked at the limbs and that was the problem

Matt / PA 09-06-2004 08:38 PM

oneida.......your bow hasn't been in a press even to put in a peep sight or such?

In any event, yeah that's bad news.....I suspect you'll be up and shooting again very shortly.

c903 09-06-2004 11:15 PM

It will be interesting to see how much more mileage Bowtech can get out of "great service" before the real issues become primary.

As things presently seem, I personally would not give a counterfeit dollar for a Bowtech product until the cause of the problems are factually identified and Bowtech issues a statement .

oniedaeagle 09-07-2004 05:10 AM

i made a tool so you dont have to press the bow to put a peep site in...

muzzyman88 09-07-2004 06:52 AM

Seems to be an on going issue lately. It may be just a defective shipment of limbs. Does Bowtech make their limbs "in house"? Most companies do not thats why I'm wondering.

I'm wondering if there isn't a design flaw in these bows. I can't see how because of the parallel limb configuration, but something seems to be up with them. Could this parallel setup be "too" parallel? Since the limbs don't travel far when drawn, could they be coming to an adrupt stop at rest on the shot causing a lot of stress? Especially with the low stretch strings and cables they use. I don't know, just something I thought about.

I surely hope Bowtech identifies the problem and gets it corrected. They're a great bow and I'd hate to see a bad reputation from this. When they first came out, you didn't hear of such a problem probably due to the fact that not many were out in mainstream. Since the exploded and are selling bows like hot cakes, this problem has arised.

I guess we'll see what they do about and validate their customer service claim.

oniedaeagle 09-07-2004 07:19 AM

i dont think this is a design flaw i think its a bad batch of limbs. there are other companines with the same limb design..

Paul L Mohr 09-07-2004 09:17 AM

Didn't mathews have this problem a while back? It seems like a few years ago there were alot of people complaining about bad limbs or something. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something to that effect. I think all bow companies go thru problems like this, the key is how they work thru it and how they treat thier customers in the mean time. It does suck that it's happening now that they are getting really popular. Then, that seems to be when this kind of thing happens.

If it makes anyone feel any better, which I don't suppose it will, my mighty might is perfect. Now finnish flaws, no cracks, no nothing. I absolutely love it. I did nick the string playing around with the No Peep taking the peep sight in and out. Now I am down one strand on the string. I should get a new string, but I am going to wait until the season is over before I mess with it. Can't afford it any way even if I wanted to.

I would like to add that I think my bow has only been in a press once at the pro shop when I got it. Maybe, I can't really think of anything they would have needed to press it for? They didn't install a peep or anything and the modules go in without pressing the bow. I use a bowmaster exclusively at home, rarely does a shop press any of my bows.

Just out of curiousity, what is the proper press to use with these bows? What should we look for when we go to a shop? Should it be a press that puts pressure as close to the tips of the limbs as possible? Pictures would be a big help. That way when we take our bows to a shop and see them put in the press if it's wrong we can yell "STOP! Don't do that". And then maybe look for a different shop that has the right press or something.

I'm amazed at how little these bow companies look into a shop before letting them sell thier line. I can imagine there are some shop owners telling people that bowtechs are not that good simply because they are ignorant and don't know how to work on them. Then they push a different line because they are personally more comfortable with it. Or someone gets a bow and isn't happy with it, and it turns out the only reason is because it's set up wrong or something. It's a shame, but I know it happens.

Paul

BOWFANATIC 09-07-2004 10:54 AM

Didn't mathews have this problem a while back?
No! It was the limb pockets.;) Which may have to be looked at on the Bowtechs. It seems odd with all the limb cracks lately they seem to start at the limb pocket.[&:] With the majority of bow companys using the same limb manufacturers or at least the same limb material I'm guessing the problem may be with the limb pockets. Wh knows? Hopefully Bowtech.

oniedaeagle 09-07-2004 02:56 PM

i took the bow back to the pro shop and he said i will have new limbs on it by next week. he said bowtech is awesome on there customer service.

c903 09-07-2004 08:06 PM

he said bowtech is awesome on there customer service.
They should be, they have been getting a lot of real time practice lately! :D:D

oniedaeagle 09-08-2004 05:53 AM

this post is not for bowtech bashing!!![:@] if you want to bash bowtech make another thread!!! the reason i posted this because i wanted to no what caused it... iam also not seeing alot of bowtech limbs crack just a few cases.. so c903 take your fake money and your two cents some place else[:@]

oniedaeagle 09-08-2004 06:49 AM

iam i missing something but i have heard of two other case on this borad about cracked limbs and i have looked on the other broads and have not found other problems. so whats this other people are talking about its there limb design if this was the case you would hear of alot more problems. i think it is isolated problems with the limbs. like the outback had with there cams....

muzzyman88 09-08-2004 07:17 AM

First, before any Bowtechers get their panties in a bunch, this is not a Bowtech bash!:D

I surely hope its just a bad run of limbs. Bowtech is a great company, but, there seems to be a problem here. There is a another post going right now on here about limb problems as well. I seem to recall 4 or 5 others having the same issues on this board, but, maybe my recolection is wrong.

Time will tell how good Bowtech customer care really is. I hope that once they identify the problem, they make an announcement about it and let us all know what it was and what they did to fix it.

oniedaeagle 09-08-2004 07:22 AM

my brother has the same bow as i have.(i sold him earleir this year) and he has had no problems. so i would say its a few limb problems

oniedaeagle 09-08-2004 08:00 AM

just heard from pat from bowtech and he says there are very few limb problems and the most he has seen about limb problem is on this broad.. he said the limbs will be sent out asap. great customer service!!!:D

c903 09-08-2004 08:09 AM

It is not a case of "Bowtech bashing." It is a wakeup call! Without clear evidence that the cracking or breaking bow limbs can be attributed to owner's neglect/cause, there have been enough incidents of limb problems to warrant requesting that Bowtech affirm that there is not a product safety issue with any of Bowtech's bows. Of course, one has to get by the "cult" mentality and the "good services" cover to do so.

First; you have to acknowledge and accept the reality that the Bowtech company is not your "buddy." Bowtech's primary interest, as it is with just about any business, is your money and making and keeping a profit. Good and expedient services and those warm and fuzzy telephone conversations are all part of the "PR" tactics. However, there can be another hidden reason why a manufacturer will sometimes use great service and PR; that is to cover up a problem the manufacturer know exists with their product.

What if, by chance, Bowtech knows they have a bad run of limbs, a flawed component, or a flawed design out on the market? Do you really believe they would voluntarily recall thousands of bows? The financial loss and the loss of reputation would probably take Bowtech down very quickly. I would assume that bow manufacturing is one business that rides a tenuous line of survival or sink.

If the problem is greater than the consumer realizes and Bowtech knows it, but the problem is a "may or may not" problem, Bowtech would rather play the odds that less bow owners will have and report problems than the amount of bows that should be recalled. Therefore, they would just ride the storm, give great service to the customers that report a problem, and quietly phase out the flawed bow design or the bow component that is the cause.

The bottom line is; if you are a Bowtech aficionado and Bowtech can do know wrong, so be it. However, not all Bowtech owners think the same, nor do all prospective buyers care that someone is in love with his or her bow, and that regardless of a possible problems, the company provides "great service." Some people would rather not have to use a warranty.

Is it a fact that any of the Bowtech bows are flawed in any manner? No! But there is no harm, no foul, to require Bowtech to issue an official declaration to consumers that Bowtech is not aware that any of the Bowtech bows have a quality or product safety issue.

As for telling me that my opinions are considered to be "brand bashing," and that I should make a separate thread to do so; sorry, you will just have to live with it. As long as the thread is relevant, and this thread is, and I were say that a bow stinks, not the person who owns the brand, that is my opinion. If you want to say that Martin is junk, feel free to do so. My bows are inanimate objects; not my wife.

pdq 5oh 09-08-2004 09:08 AM

c903, you just can't seem to get over the fact that people are happy BowTech is moving quickly to respond to their customers.

c903:

First; you have to acknowledge and accept the reality that the Bowtech company is not your "buddy."
This may be true to a point but, BowTech has shown itself to be a company that is interested in their customer's satisfaction. More so than many others.

c903:

If you want to say that Martin is junk
Can I take this to mean you shoot Martin bows? What has been your experience re: any problems with them? How about customer service? I do seem to remember you mentioning keeping a backup bow ready.

oniedaeagle 09-08-2004 09:14 AM

i agree with pdq 5oh

BobCo19-65 09-08-2004 09:18 AM

This may be true to a point but, BowTech has shown itself to be a company that is interested in their customer's satisfaction.
Companaies are "interested" because you (and others) have paid for it in the original price of the equipment. It is a demand of the consumer.

pdq 5oh 09-08-2004 09:58 AM

BobCo19-65:

Companaies are "interested" because you (and others) have paid for it in the original price of the equipment. It is a demand of the consumer.
True. And some companies are better at responding to it than others.

BobCo19-65 09-08-2004 10:16 AM

True. And some companies are better at responding to it than others.
True, but the best companies customer services are sitting around watching TV and sleeping as opposed being on the phone 24x7 with cutomer equipment problems and defects - kind of like the Maytag Man.

Rangeball 09-08-2004 10:25 AM

kind of like the Maytag Man.
The Maytag man is a lying sack of crap... [:@]

Don't get me started... [:@]

All companies have anomalies. Just because a few here have experienced a problem, that doesn't make it nor does it appear to be wide-spread, based on lack of similar reports on other boards.

Knowing that EVERY manufacturer is susceptible, it gives me greater comfort to know the one I bought a bow from is actually interested in seeing me happy and taking care of me hassle free and poste-haste, versus one with a rep for dragging their feet and blaming the consumer, like that $%*#ing Maytag man... [:@]

Seriously, find ONE REPORT of someone with a problem not taken care of promptly by Bowtech, then do the same for other companies. That said, I don't own a Bowtech, but if I were shopping they'd definitely be in the hunt near the top of the list.

c903 09-08-2004 10:31 AM

If you are a Bowtech owner and are happy with your bow, no matter what, I am not talking to you. If you are a Bowtech owner but do have concerns, or are a prospective buyer still evaluating, I am talking to you.

To those who discern; you have to get past the "great service" mantra that any company and their loyalists might chant, to make the best choice and reduce the odds of spending your hard-earned money for something very expensive that you might have to constantly use the manufacturer's "good service" for.

Sometimes you are smart to cut your possible loss based on just a few incidents of malfunction if the cause is not factually and clearly known. If you have the time and money to blow, then take the gamble; it is your money to blow.

I presently shoot Martin bows, and have done so for the past 14 years. In the past, I have owned PSE, Browning, XI, Bear, Hoyt compounds, and have never had the first malfunction. Yes, I have two backup bows, but not because I expect a malfunction due to design or quality. I might cause a breakage or malfunction, or an accessory could fail and maybe I would not have the time to purchase, install, and shoot in a new accessory.

I guarantee you, as much as I like Martin; good service be damned. If Martin bows started having problems attributable to Martin and I wanted to stay with Martin, I would be on the horn very quickly and I would be asking questions and advising that I would not settle for a song and dance. Otherwise, I would drop Martin in a heartbeat, go with a product that is having a better reputation with quality, and screw the good service hype. I do not want to have to use "good service" if I can avoid it. If I have to use a manufacturer's warranty service it means something has gone wrong.

silentassassin 09-08-2004 10:32 AM

True, but the best companies customer services are sitting around watching TV and sleeping as opposed being on the phone 24x7 with cutomer equipment problems and defects - kind of like the Maytag Man.
Actually I think that would be their quality control department;) I challenge any of you guys to show me some statistical data of any manufacturing based company that does not have defects in their equipment. As of now we don't know whether these defects are propogated by the manufacturer or my misuse. Also, given this is a public forum we do not know for sure, but I can only assume that a misproportionate sampling of bowhunters that have reported here on the board (which has a disproportionately high number of bowtech shooter) , does not represent the number of defects in the bowhunting poulation. What you have here is a couple of people reporting problems out of a couple of hundred bowtech shooters. However, if the sampling were truely random I don't think you would see this trend. I know 15 -18 people shooting bowtechs and i don't know of anyone personally that has had limb trouble. I am not saying that their may not be some issue becasue every bow manufacturere that I have ever know of has had issues at some point or another, however, I am saying that it's WAY to early to be jumping the gun ans saying that bowtech needs to recall their equipment. If this was truely an epidemic it would be plastered all over every message board and everyone from Maine to Mexico would know about it and be reporting problems. Not just 2 or 3 people on this message board.

silentassassin 09-08-2004 10:36 AM

I guarantee you, as much as I like Martin; good service be damned. If Martin bows started having problems attributable to Martin and I wanted to stay with Martin
First off I didn't realize that it had been determined that these problems were attributable to bowtech. Second, of all I use to work at a shop that carried Martin and why I am in now way saying that all Martins are junk, you can bet that some of them are and I have seen a plethora of problems associated with them, just as I have with every other compound bow.

BobCo19-65 09-08-2004 10:53 AM

The Maytag man is a lying sack of crap...

Don't get me started...
Sorry, didn't mean to hit a sore spot. Just using as an analogy.

oniedaeagle 09-08-2004 10:58 AM

i dont see why this post is getting so much attetion i just wanted to know what it was caused from, i just got a defective limb wrote bowtech no problem will be taken care of asap. iam happy with the way its been taken care of but it seem all the non bowtech shooter are not happy and want a anwser and argu with everbody that owns a bowtech, you show me a bow company that takes care of there customers better then bowtech.

c903 09-08-2004 11:03 AM

Some Martin's might be "junk." I can't attest to that because I have never had a problem of any type. Although it could be possible and I not be aware of it, Martin might have an excessive amount of problems..associated with them.

I can only go by my experience, the fact that I have not yet read much about the "problems," and the "Maine to Mexico" data base doesn't have anything on Martin. However, I will act accordingly if your information starts to become factual. I owe Martin nothing.

Bowtech Joe 09-08-2004 11:10 AM

the reason that it is getting attention is because the cause is unknown. Actually there are several unknowns.

Such as why is it happening? Design defect? Material defect? Bowpress?

also how many limbs have cracked? is it a widespread problem thoughout the entire Bowtech line, or is it a few isolated cases that happen to be reported on this board? Who knows, maybe the defects are well within the QA/QC tolerances for the total number of bows sold.

I am quite happy with my bow so far, i inspect the limbs after each shooting session and go about my business. i figure the best case is that most of the issues are due to improper service techniques. Worst case is a serious design or material flaw and who knows what would happen in that event.

Techy 09-08-2004 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: oniedaeagle

how long does it take for limbs to come in. season for nothern tier opens the 27
usually 3 or 4 days