Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String loop material. >

String loop material.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String loop material.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default String loop material.

Is string loop material special stuff or can it be had at like Home Depot or a good hardware store?
I ask because mine was getting frayed, so I went to the local bow shop & got a piece made to order. He melted the little balls for me & explained how to tie it in.
Well it was a bit longer than the old one & I didnt like it. Couldnt get it back off so I cut it as close to the knot as I could. I thnk if got a nice ball on the first try I mighta been ok but it took 3 tries & now my release wont fit behind the nock.
Anyhow, I wanna get a big piece so as I can practice.
I'm sure they will give me a foot or so if ask at the shop but if its something I can just buy I will.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:41 PM

Default RE: String loop material.

When you tie a NEW loop on, you should tie the loop close to the bow string so that when the loop stretches (creeps), the size of loop should be about right. If the loop has not yet stretched (creeped) to the max, there still might be room to stretch the loop to make room for the nock and your release.

If you are positive the loop is secure, slip a small diameter screwdriver through the loop. Wrapping your fingers around the screwdriver shank, slightly pull on your bow string a few times until your loop has stretched enough to enage your release.

Although the nock may still be a bit crowded, load an arrow. Now draw your bow to full draw several times, watching for the loop to stretch (creep) until your nock fully loads and there is room to engage and release your release jaws.

If the loop will not stretch, it has reached its maximum creep. You will have to install a new loop.

PS: Forgot you asked about what material the loop is and where you can get it. Go to your hardware stores, camping stores, etc. and find some 1/8" diameter BRAIDED nylon cord. It will probably be off-white in color, Who cares! The cord may not be waxed, or even if it is:

- Cut off about a 10" piece,
- melt some beeswax (string wax) in a small pan,
- turn off the flame,
- quickly sumerge the cord section in the melted wax,
- leave the cord in the wax until the wax solidifies or becomes gummy,
- dig the cord out,
- skim the cord firmly with your fingers to pull of the excess
- install the loop.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Typical Buck

Just got back from Home depot & they had 1/8th inch braided nylon cord but it looked too thick. Probably because it wasnt waxed. The cord I was looking at also had a working load of 40lbs. Is this the right stuff? I'm pulling 70 so between the load rating & the way it looked thick I left it there. Should I go back?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:06 PM

I just checked about 4 manufacturers' string center servings and found them to be between .105-.115. While .125 might be fine for some, it could be too thick for others to work with and excessive stretch could be a problem. We have dealt with various thickness materials and have found the .090 to be about as good as it gets as far as stretch and ease of installation.

As far as putting the balls on the ends, and again after many efforts using other methods such as the one described, we prefer the way your PRO Shop apparently did the job. Flare the end of the cord for at least a quarter inch of its length and then burn with a lighter or torch. Let the ball form cool and DO NOT flatten it.

Once you get the loop material tied to the string, use a set of needle nosed pliers to 'stretch' the loop. We have about 10" NN pliers that give us a LOT of load pressure. Of course you have to use the NN pliers in the reverse of how they were designed - but it works well. We have never had a loop come loose and punch someone in the nose using this method.

If you have to take a loop off and don't want to cut it off, get yourself a somewhat sharp scribe and carefully thread it between the loop bundle. A slight twist will open it up for easy removal. Whenever you're working around a loop by either cutting or twisting, always be aware that it doesn't take much to damage the serving and/or the string.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Truball sells the Brownell loop material, you can buy direct, very inexpensive, easy hookup.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:13 AM

If you are positive that the 40# you read is the recommended safe "working load" and not the "breaking strength" (test), the breaking strength will greater. My spool of cord is not with me, but I believe the "breaking strength" is somewhere around 300#-400# …..and is DIAMOND braided.

I started using the 1/8" diamond braided cord for generally 3 reasons. 1) The size is more readily available in longer lengths or spools, 2) the cost per inch/foot is less, and 3) I prefer a larger diameter cord resting behind the calipers on my release.

As Len said, some shooters do not like the 1/8" diameter because it is a thicker cord. Some are also turned off by the bigger diameter because they are sensitive to any possible loss of fps no matter how insignificant. At first, I was not sure either. However, after waxing and using the cord I found that I am no longer aware that the cord is thicker than what is normally sold as "string loop" cord. I also have never been aware of excessive creeping.

I do not know what type of cord Home Depot carries, but I would assume the cord is appropriate as long as it is not COTTON or PROPYLENE and is DIAMOND braided. If the cord is appropriate in type and strength, use becomes an individual choice.

As for what tool to use to initially stretch the cord e.g., small screwdriver, rod, long needle nose, etc, it does not really matter as long as you can slip something between the bowstring and loop material without damaging the bowstring and be able to exert enough pressure to stretch the loop. Again, it comes down to individual preference.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:45 AM

I have recently tried quite a few brands of release material and IMO think that the BCY material stands out above all others, Its a really tight braid and grips the serving better than others.
BD