Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 shooting with out a peep sight >

shooting with out a peep sight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting with out a peep sight

Old 08-23-2004, 09:46 PM

Default shooting with out a peep sight

thinking about takeing my hind sight off my bow and shooting with out it any hints about shooting with out a peep
Old 08-24-2004, 05:08 AM

Default RE: shooting with out a peep sight

just make sure you have a consistant anchor point and try looking at the pins on the outside edge of your string or the inside as some do---remember you may have to make some adjustments on your sights and maybe your center shot. keep at it and you will gain more confidence the more you shoot and anchor the same.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:16 AM

You could always try the No-peep
Old 08-24-2004, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a NO-PEEP and you'll have a wide open sight picture and be able to confirm that your anchor is the same on every shot eliminating any torque problems--why not try it out?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been peepless now for several years and i don't have a problem shooting without one. As mentioned anchoring the same everytime is the key. I anchor with the top knot of my loop in the corner of my mouth with the string touching my nose and my index finger knuckle on my release hand under my ear lobe. I look to the inside of the string at my pin. My eyes aren't what they used to be so it works out great for me especially at dusk and dawn in low light. If i were to shoot spots or 3d then i would definately use a peep sight but for hunting i'll stay peepless.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was planning on purchasing a No-Peep but decided to try going peep-less first. Last week I removed my old peep and I am suprised how easy the transition has been. At first I was getting 6" groups at 30 yards. I'm down to 3-4" groups in just a week. It has definately made me more conscious of my form.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the past several years, I made several unsuccessful attempts to shoot well without a peep sight. I always found accuracy to go bad once I was shooting at 30 + yards. For the last 2 years, I have shot pretty well without one. What first worked for me was tying a small wrap of orange thread around my bow string at a place where I can line up the bright orange blur with the riser (horizontally) and the bottom of my pin guard (vertically). This plus some other reference (kisser on my shorter bow) has allowed me to shoot better. I have tried the No-Peep, and it is probably a more exacting way of ensuring consistency. I personally have not found my accuracy to be significantly better with the No Peep compared to the string marker. I personally don't like to have too much to think about when I'm shooting. I may not have had the No Peep adjusted to a really natural anchor position though. The orange thread (5 wraps should do it) and a kisser button are a little cheaper to try than the No Peep as well.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Peep sights are mainly an anchor reference, which is exactly what a kisser button does for you. If you want to try it without a peep, then I'd have to say you probably should use a kisser to keep your anchor consistent, which will keep your long range accuracy from going to pot. Kisser to your lip, tip of your nose on the string and align one edge of the string or the other with the side of your pin. Doesn't matter which edge you use as long as you're consistent with it.

The shooters in the Olympics were getting pretty decent long range accuracy using that method.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:28 PM
Spike

TRUST YOUR ANCHOR POINT