Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 couple of newb questions >

couple of newb questions

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

couple of newb questions

Old 08-10-2004, 11:31 PM

Default couple of newb questions

I have been browsing the forums, watching bowhunting shows and reading some magazines trying to figure out how to set up a new bow that I plan to buy. I shot a couple of bows last week and I am still considering what to buy. I am thinking of having my new bow set up with a string loop. I normally shoot with a 28" draw length but I was told if I want a string loop I would need to take an inch off my draw lenght making it 27". How much speed will I lose if I do this. Also, the bow I am thinking of buying has a 37.5 ata. I also shot a much shorter Archery Research bow that I liked a lot (just didn't like the price tag) what is the advantage or disadvantage of shooting a shorter bow versus a longer one?

I am sure these questions sound pretty elementary to a lot of members here but thanks in advance for helping a novice.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: couple of newb questions

I have an AR34 and love it. I went to a string loop because I have a sursapeep (one without the rubber tube) and this makes it turn the correct way everytime. I did not have my draw changed and only noticed that the breaking point of the pull back is a little closer to full draw. My dealer told me I could have the draw changed to 28.5 from 29 on my AR if I wanted. I like the speed for 3-d so I am leaving it at 29. I am not sure how much speed I would loose. The AR is priced in the same group that other good bows are price at. You can get more speed out of the AR70 (the longer one) than the shorter ones. The AR is an nice bow and I am not disapointed with it at all.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: couple of newb questions

Not sure about the speed loss, but if I'm not mistaken, generally you'll lose roughly 10fps for every inch. Not enough to concern yourself with IMO.

As for the short ATA bows. With your draw length, you'll be fine with one. Where people typically get in trouble with longer draw lengths. You get a more accute string angle and makes peep visibility and nock pinch more critical almost requiring you to use a loop.

I bought a short ATA Hoyt Vipertec earlier this year that I didn't really like. I loved the bow, and it shot well at hunting distances, but I just felt more comfortable with a longer ATA bow. Stability becomes a factor as well with the shorties. But, they do make nice little hunting bows most times.