Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 cutting aluminum shafts >

cutting aluminum shafts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

cutting aluminum shafts

Old 08-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default cutting aluminum shafts

I was messing around with some older arrows and I was going to cut some down (30" to 27.5") and since I'm just tinkering can I get away with my plumbers tube cutter? I know easton recommends a high speed cut-off wheel but does it matter that much? I would think the high speed wheels are more efficient but do they cut that much more square than a tube cutter? Is there a way to rig a dremel tool? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:33 PM

Default RE: cutting aluminum shafts

I was thinling the same thing but with carbon shafts. I was thinking of a chop saw with a finish blad? I don't want to spend the money on a high speed arrow saw.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:47 PM

A plumbers saw will work for your alluminums, it's what my dad used for years before he switched to carbons.

Why spend loads of money on a high speed arrow saw? I only spent about $20.00 making mine.

All I had to buy was the saw, which I got from Harbor Freight Tools for $19.99.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

I used a mini tubing cutter & it worked ok. It was tight getting the inserts in tho because the tubing cutter squeezes the shaft.
I work in a sheetmetal shop & we have a chop saw we use to cut gutter, mostly copper but aluminum also.
One day a lightbulb lit up in my head & I tried cutting one on the saw. Works great nice clean cut & the inserts drop right in. Anybody who has a power mitre saw can do this. The blade we use is basically just an 80 tooth carbide plywood type blade. Just get one with alot of small teeth.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:50 PM

I use a dremel to cut mine. I just cut the bulk of the arrow off down to about 1/2" of where i want to make my final cut. That way the body of the dremel tool does't get in the way and I can get a square cut.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:42 AM

I too have gone too Harbor Frieght and purchased the same saw for the same as Washington Hunter and have to say is for 20.00 bucks you can't beat it,it works just as good as the high priced arrow saw's. Atleast for me it does.. The tube cutter does work thats what i started with ,
the trick is you have too remove the burr for the insert to slide in more easily a countersink tool will work for this.But you can't beat the minie chop saw for the price do the the job..
And i'm sure there are others that use this saw as well..
Old 08-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

will the saw from harbor freight cut carbons o.k. i also seen a tool in cabelas for de-burring and making sure your cuts are straight. its like 30$ though.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:49 AM

washington hunter,

what brand of saw is that? can you tell me what the specs are? do you have to do any deburring after cutting your arrows with that saw?

thanks!
Old 08-09-2004, 07:36 AM

A Dremel tool with the standard cut-off wheel is all you need. The only drawback is you need to be careful to keep your cut straight and even. Practice in 1/4" increments on an arrow or 3 before you do a final cut. With practice, it's very easy.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, that looks very nice. I'm regreting buying mine now. Thanks.[:@]