Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowstring making question >

Bowstring making question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowstring making question

Old 08-07-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Bowstring making question

When making bowstrings after laying the correct amount of loops around the pegs of the jig is it neccesary to tie the ends of the string material together before serving the end loops or will the amount of loops combined with the serving tension be enough to stop the string material from slowly slipping and elongating, Ive always heard you must tie the ends but quite a few articles on line show them making a string without tying the ends together as I have done in the past. If you must tie the ends together what compact knot will hold this material from slipping.
Thanks
BD
Old 08-07-2004, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Bowstring making question

I have seen videso saying you should but i do not do that when i make my strings or anybody's else's. what i do is with the extra string after serving your loop serving i tie them into the string .
Old 08-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

you most definately need to tie a fisher mans knot on the ends or the string will seperate.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:16 PM

weave your extra around your string 3 times then go between the two colors or halfs. then three more times and through the center again then serve no knots nice and smooth. this is how larry wise dose it.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:52 AM

Can you post a picture, or a link, for the "Fishermans' Knot" you're talking about? Much appreciated. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown
Old 08-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

you most definately need to tie a fisher mans knot on the ends or the string will seperate.
I disagree. I've been making strings without knots for years. Simply not neccessary, and also adds a lump underneath the serving area. I have yet to see anything move or slip on a well-made string.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fishermans knot

Old 08-08-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah well whatever
i have bought bow strings that were not tied at the ends and they stretched because of it.

but if you dont want to tie a knot because it is not pretty More power to ya
I want my strings tied on the ends to insure that they will not slip.
besides the knot is so small you will never notice it under the serving unless you were really looking for it.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

i have bought bow strings that were not tied at the ends and they stretched because of it.
And as I stated: I have yet to see anything move or slip on a well-made string.

Bowstring is such a waxy material that I have yet to see a knot that holds well "as tied", there's usually some slippage involved until the knot really tightens up to where it won't move. And if that's the case, the knot isn't doing anything for you in the first place.

Hey, if you like using knots- go for it. But I think it may be inappropriate to be stating to people reading these boards that, "You most definately need to tie a fisher mans knot on the ends or the string will seperate."

They just aren't required for a good string.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Black frog

Opinions vary.

Quick Reply: Bowstring making question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.