Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds >

p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Old 08-05-2004, 11:14 AM

Default p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Well, after getting most of my problems with my Dually taken care of, I've been getting in some range time.

And run into something weird that I'm having trouble figuring out.

I had the bow sighted in, and I could keep decent groups (for being early season practice).

Then, boom, arrow hits 1' high.

I thought I just flinched or someting so I shot some more. Back on original grouping....

Few more arrows, another one jumps up high (tight with the first "flier").

So, I check over equipment...
Front sight hasn't moved.
Rear peep...has a little play and may move a little...but when I moved it by hand to test effect, it's not enough to make the arrow jump.
Rest appears to be working fine, as is my Fletch Hunter release.

I packed it in for a day and went home to think. I then began to wonder if while I think I'm anchoring in the same spot all the time, maybe I'm moving slightly. Second thought...and the one that I thought was really doing this...was that if I keep my face perp to the ground on some shots, and then on others lean a little bit with my eye closer to the peep..this could produce a difference in impact.

Next time at the range, I tested my theory. Unfortunately, when I tried moving my head about to change angle on the peep...it didn't have the significant effect I thought it did. I shot some more rounds trying to keep my anchor and head position the same...and I still got some fliers.

I also noticed, that while I think I'm always anchoring and positioning the same, some times when I look forward, I can see much more of the top of the hood of my sight (it's an HHA sight, non moveable). If you need a picture...hold a pop can out in front of you with the top facing away from you.. I'm going from pretty much seeing only the bottom of the can to seeing the bottom, plus the top side of the can.

My next time out, I'm going to eyeball if possibly my nocking point-loop is moving (which I doubt) or if I can figure out how I can be repeating my anchor and head position, but the look of the sight is changing....

grrr. I wouldn't be worrying about this...but I don't want these fliers while hunting obviously.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Most Likely

1) Cam synch. You are creeping or overdrawing on occasion and getting that flyer. It only has to be off a tiny bit. That is why many folks "creep tune" thier dual cam bows..it prevents this phenomenon.

or

2) You've got a bad arrow or two. Number them and keep track
Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Number the arrows, see if its always the same ones giving fliers, if so, check nock alignment, then head the insert and spin it.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:13 PM
bigcountry

Sure you have clearance. I had this problem with a TM Hunter, and my right helical was too strong. Sometimes, catch the arrow

Old 08-05-2004, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My thoughts as I was reading were exactly the same as jeffb's.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

A rest that's hanging up will do the same thing. Might try taking your rest apart and giving it a good cleanup and lube job.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:55 AM

was that if I keep my face perp to the ground on some shots, and then on others lean a little bit with my eye closer to the peep..this could produce a difference in impact.
Not really - with a peep you could be 2 inches from it or 10 and it wont throw your shot off - but maybe a little bit.

I vote bad arrow or creep......and that bows gots somes creeps
Old 08-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Duh... Maybe, perhaps, I should read the WHOLE post. [&:] Missed the bit about how the bow is torquing in the vertical axis. Check cam timing and synch for sure, but don't forget to check tiller as well!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:39 AM

IMO you have a clearance problem. But you should check all things mentioned here.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:56 PM

number your arrows I had some flyers and found I had a 2 bad arrows good luck

Quick Reply: p.o.i jumping 6" to 1 foot at 15 yds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.