Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shoulder pain

Old 08-05-2004, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shoulder pain

I would definitely recommend seeing a Dr. first and going from there.

My problem is my rotator cuff. I hurt it many years ago lifting, and at the time the pain was horrible. I had some PT (massages basically) and the Dr. showed me some exercises to get through it and I also got a cortizone shot. It subsided over time, then flared up again a year or so later, and I went through the same process. Just recently it's been acting up again (about 8 years later), but not to the same degree, Thank God. But now I'm older and a little bit wiser, and know when to take it easy.

See that sawbones and get the problem pinpointed.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you are talking about your draw shoulder, not the bow arm shoulder. (I've had problems with both, lucky me![&:])

As others said, see a Dr. If you got pain with the first shot during your shooting session, you may have done something to it prior to shooting that you didn't think about.

For me, Aleve is somewhat more effective than Ibuprofin. What helps most is stretching, and PT exercises. I am lifting on a regular basis now (fairly light weight and lots of reps) and strengthening the shoulder seems to be the best way of avoiding problems with it when shooting.
Two years ago, my hunting bow was a smooth-pulling 58# er. Now, I can shoot quite a bit with a hard cam 65#s, and not be sore afterwards.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:25 AM

Buckeye Mike,
Is the pain in your bow arm shoulder or the release shoulder?

One rule that my doctor told me is that if it hurts, don't keep doing it. Pain is often a sign that something is being damaged.

If it is a rotator cuff, there are several exercises that will help it. I finally had to get the cortizone shot as well as the exercises. The good news is that the exercises will help you draw a higher draw weight and/or shoot longer. Also, physical therapists tend to have very cute figures

Don't delay, get to a doctor. The sooner you treat it the sooner it can be corrected.

Good luck,
Allen
Old 08-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

The good news is that the exercises will help you draw a higher draw weight and/or shoot longer.

Could this have been the problem all along ? Overshooting has felled bigger men than you , so has overbowing .

Don't delay, get to a doctor. The sooner you treat it the sooner it can be corrected.

Good advice , if it isn't already too late .

Good luck,
Allen
Old 08-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. It is my draw shoulder and I have a Dr appointment on the 16th (hopefully it will have cleared up by then). As I think back on the injury, while it happened on the first shot the week before I had done a lot of shooting after having worked out earlier in the day and I probably pushed it a little bit to much that day and the problem that showed up a week or so later could well have been from overdoing it the time before. I plan to rest it until the I see the doc but its hard not going out and shooting a few when I have a little spare time.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:57 PM

don't do it. usually its 3 weeks rest for a tendonitis flareup, if you don't do that it can get to a point where you need 6 months rest. but that's only if its tendonitis. good luck. one thing that helped me was making sure that when i'm drawing, i keep my pulling arm very close to my body
Old 08-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Buckeye ,
you've made the right choice .
Live to hunt another day .
Old 08-06-2004, 07:44 PM

Whatever it is...good luck with it and hopefully you'll be able to put it off until after whitetail season.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: ldial1973

go to the doctor
I'll 2nd this one. What's the worse thing the doc will do? Fix it. Good luck either way.