Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Everyone please help me pick a fixed blade broadhead this year >

Everyone please help me pick a fixed blade broadhead this year

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Everyone please help me pick a fixed blade broadhead this year

Old 08-03-2004, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Everyone please help me pick a fixed blade broadhead this year

Hey folks...

due to an injury I've had to drop my bow poundage by quite a bit. And so my energy levels have dropped to about 59 foot pounds of KE. I'm squeamish about using mechs at such energy levels. With enough horses, I prefer them, but I'm looking to fixed blades now.

Anyhoo..there are so many good choices today in fixed blades (including many "older" heads that are still just as effective that I used in years past), I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed, honestly. I've been toting mechs exclusively for the past 6 years.

Here's what I need..100 grains preferably..but depending on my arrow spine, I could go down to 85 grains if need be.

I want at least 3 blades cutting, and 4 is just fine and dandy...trocar/chisel tip style or cut to the tip. I would prefer at least 1" cut for 4 blades, and 1 & 1/8" cut for 3 blades. I want scary bloodtrails (who doesn't?), and scary sharp blades.

I have my own thoughts, but I'm asking y'all to convince me why your choice in a fixed blade broadhead is the best.

Have fun with it

Thanx!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Everyone please help me pick a fixed blade broadhead this year

due to an injury I've had to drop my bow poundage by quite a bit
What happened, not a shoulder I hope.

I want at least 3 blades cutting, and 4 is just fine and dandy...trocar/chisel tip style or cut to the tip. I would prefer at least 1" cut for 4 blades, and 1 & 1/8" cut for 3 blades. I want scary bloodtrails (who doesn't?), and scary sharp blades.
Me thinks you just described a Muzzy. All except scary sharp blades that is.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:01 PM

Magnus Stinger!
Old 08-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thunderheads! I've been shooting Thunderheads for so long i can't even remember how many years it's been. I've never had not one problem tuning them and everyone i've ever bought was shaving sharp right out of the package. Great broadhead imo. Good luck with your shoulder injury hope it heals quickly for ya.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

Any 3 blade from wasp muzzy thunderhead rockymountain..or a cut to tip from steelforce or magnus.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:23 PM

Jeff - Hope you are feeling better soon

NAP NITRON fits the bill real nice..........................
Old 08-03-2004, 02:27 PM

I think there are still some mechanicals you could use if you really wanted to stick with them. Talk to 5-shot and see what he thinks. Some of them actually penitrate pretty well. I think at 60 ft/lbs of energy you shouldn't be that worried about it.

As far as fixed blade heads, any of the popular ones should work fine. Most all of the heads on the market now shoot good and tune well. With your specs I wouldn't be looking for a cut to tip or ultra penitrating type set up. I mean you could if you wanted, but I don't think it's something you have to have with your set up.

Paul
Old 08-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a fan of the Muzzy 4-Blade 100gr. Slightly less cutting diameter, but with four blades there is more cutting surface area vs. the three blades which provides for more hemoraging. Been using them for several years and will use them again this year as I haven't seen a reason to change.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:04 PM

Wasp is like you described and what I use. Fly like a Muzzy but have
scary sharp blades and the blood trails have been great for me.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

For 3 years running, the 100 grain Muzzy has topped my poll in the bowhunting forum on broadheads used successfully. The 3 blade seems to be used just a tad more than the 4 blade, but either will do the job.

Quick Reply: Everyone please help me pick a fixed blade broadhead this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.